MDL: WD2500-75NCB1 HDD
DCM: DSBHCT2AA
PCB:2060-701335-005 REV A
PCB sticker : 2061-701335 B00 AF
Firmware B1

I have found a PCB with the same details
PCB:2060-701335-005 REV A
PCB sticker : 2061-701335 B00 AF
Will this donor PCB allow me to get the data off with a straight swap or will I need to replace the U12 chip from the old board

many thanks

#2 ·
You can try it but highly doubt it will work without moving U12 from the original board to the donor board. Depending on the level of "fried" it make have issues with the heads and or the pre-amp. DO NOT REMOVE the TOP COVER that will effect Head Alignment. Have you go a good pic of the "fried" board so I can see what the damage is ?

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response, I'm at work at the moment but will post a pic later. I've had a look at the board and can't see any obvious damage (but I am no expert) I did actually try another similar PCB and the drive did spin so there doesn't seem to be any damage to that. I'm sure I read somewhere that if you can get the same spec board with manufacture date close enough to the original then I might be lucky...as I say I'm no expert. Damage to original board was due to power surge.

#4 ·
If the symptom is the drive wont spin up then most likely the TVS diode for the 12V has blow you can check with a multimeter and just remove it. Most of them are D3 and D4 near the power connector. One is 5V the other is 12V.

Once removed the drive should spin up and hopefully you can copy the data off to another drive. Its not safe to run it forever without a working diode in place for power protection. Also make 100% certain the power supply is not the same one that blew the drive in the first place because it may damage the drive further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.