Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WD SmartWare USB Drive Having a Cyclic Redundancy Problem

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, this is my first time asking for help in a technical problem (or any problem for that matter), I found that you guys have two threads which seem similar to the problem that I am now facing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...rtition-or-files-in-your-computer-194492.html
http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...-hd-not-formatted-all-of-a-sudden-200538.html

With what I saw, I was pretty impressed with what I saw and became quite hopeful that this would work so here I am. Please help, I would appreciate it more than you may know.

My USB drive is a 1 Terabyte WD Smartware (MyPassport) USB drive.
It shows up in my Disk Manager except it doesn’t show how much data has been used.
I also put a password on it long before it stopped working and the password part still works.

However, whenever I try to double-click on it – it asks me if I want to format it or not.
Now, in digital terms, I know that it is actually asking when it is translated: “Do you want to delete EVERYTHING so that you can start ALL OVER?”
Above everything, I do not want to start all over.

I have researched several programs and they all let you recover files, but if I can help it – I would like to be able to keep File Names and File Directory.
TestDisk (latest version: 6.13) seemed to be the best option because it recovers partitions so that the USB will work again.

So far, I made TestDisk (latest version: 6.13) scan my Disk by following these steps (it took the whole entire night to do so)

- Double-click “trydisk_win” application

- Choose [Create]

- Choose [Proceed] with my USB drive = Disk /dev/sdh – 999 GB / 930 GiB – WD MyPassport 070A

- Since I am running a Windows __, choose [Intel]

- [Analyse]

- [Quick Search]

- [Deeper Search]

It didn’t show any new partitions

And then I found your two threads.
But looking closely, it doesn’t seem like my USB drive is a FAT32 so it is not as straightforward as I would like it to be.

I tried the steps to this thread, but I only got this far

- Double-click “trydisk_win” application

- Choose [no log] this time

- Choose [Proceed] with my USB drive = Disk /dev/sdh – 999 GB / 930 GiB – WD MyPassport 070A

- Choose [Intel]

- Choose [Advanced]

- Choose [Boot]

- Choose [Repair BS]

- LEAVE IT SO THAT I DON’T SCREW ANYTHING UP.

And so now I am here and I am hoping that the pros, who actually know what they are doing, will be able to help me out here rather than me aiming aimlessly through the internet hoping to find the answer.
If I missed something then please tell me what else you need to know.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sometimes testdisk does a good job and sometimes not as much. I would try scanning the drive with r-studio demo. Scan the drive for approx 1hr and stop it to see what it located.

However CRC errors are a sign of hardware issues. One poster I recently helped reported back he ran a chkdsk and it fixed his crc errors. I didn't buy it but just passing the info on. running a chkdsk is the LAST thing I would try as it sometimes makes a bad problem worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.