Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

WD powered external drive VS Non Powered

This is a discussion on WD powered external drive VS Non Powered within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi All, I have 4 TB of data and would like to back it up I was thinking of having

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi All,

I have 4 TB of data and would like to back it up

I was thinking of having one USB hard disk (Non Powered) and one USB Hard disk (Powered with adaptor).

I would keep a copy on both of them for resilience.

I wanted to know if the non powered ones are better than powered ones.

One Hard disk would be always with me when im travelling. The Powered one I can keep it at home and only replicate the changes from the new one every week.

kindly advise if this method is ok or should I get two non powered western digital / seagate hard disks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Seagate and Western Digital were both neck and neck as far as quality and reliability in the Hard Drive market several years ago. Now unfortunately, Seagate has fallen behind on reliability and has a greater faiure rate then WD.

That being said, USB HDD's require a lot of power to consistently be recognized by the computer. USB ports vary as to how much power they provide. IMHO External HDD's that supply their own power adapter are more reliable, as far as connecting to computers, especially laptops are concerned, then drives without external power. Your mileage may vary.
Old 01-15-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
Windows Tech Team

My System

My mileage, and it is strictly personal and anecdotal, does vary. Over the years I have had far more problems with drive failure with desktop backup drives that are externally powered, regardless of brand. After the third or fourth one failed at an age far younger than any of the computers, I simply gave up on them.

I have found far more durability and longevity with the "cigarette pack" sized USB HDDs that were intended for use with laptops, so use them exclusively now. My personal favorite among the brands is Toshiba.
Closed Thread