Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WD Internal SATA Harddisk not detecting on windows

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a 1TB WesternDigital Internal SATA HardDisk, it worked fine for the last 1 and a half month.

One day, it decided to screw around with me and not detect.

At first, Windows XP failed to boot. After the loading screen, it would just go blank(no cursor, no alt+ctrl_del, no nothing).

So a friend of mine told me to change the slots, in my Motherboard.

Windows then finally booted up, but the New Harddisk, wasn't showing up anymore(in My Computer).

It detects in the Bios, but not on Windows.

Plz, I need help. And I can't format it, since I have important data on that HardDisk!! :(

#4 ·
Can you feel / hear the drive spin up ? Do you have another Sata cable to try or can you try the hdd in another pc to rule out a motherboard issue ? Most likely your drive has died but these are the things to try first

#5 ·
The drive spins, I've felt it. I tried exchanging the SATA cables between my old harddisk(which has Windows installed) and the new one(the one that fails to detect).
Well, the old one works, so its not the SATA cable.

I don't have another PC to try it on. :(

If my harddrive has indeed died, is there a way that I can retrieve my files?!

I really need them.

#7 ·
Can you see the drive in the disk manager in Windows ? What does the file system show on the drive ? can you take a screen shot and upload it ? You many want to download a trial version of R-Studio to scan the drive and Recuva is a free program that does a good job recovering files as well both are easy to use programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.