Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WD external HD issues

895 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Bought a 2T WD external drive about a year ago, have had some conflicts with it but it has always worked. Just setup a new HD and now it recognizes as drive F: instead of E: and I cant read any of my files. I assume its a USB driver issue. Where can I get better drivers?

Another thing I am annoyed about is that it goes into sleep mode and I cant get it to wake up. I have to turn it off and then back on again and I have to hold the button down a long time to get it to turn off and sometimes have to click it a few times to get it to go back on.:banghead:

#2 ·
The drive letter change is normal, especially when making OS changes. You can set the drive letter to anything that you like within Drive Manager.

Is the drive properly recognized in Drive Manager? What is the status in Drive Manager? What error are you getting when you try to access the drive?

The drive going to sleep could be the OS (check the power saving options) or the drive itself.

#4 ·
USB drives use generic drivers supplied by Windows. When the drive is connected, it should be detected, Windows will install the drivers needed for access, and the drive is then listed in Drive Manager.

If the drive is not properly recognized and listed in Drive Manager, there is likely a hardware issue (faulty cable or drive).

Test the drive on another PC to verify.

#5 ·
I downloaded a driver from WD and the driver issue is resolved on the device manager list but I found the problem. All my files are hidden. I just setup a new HD because my other INTERNAL has a virus, I am waiting for one of the virus people to help me remove that. The virus hid all my files on C:\ Did that carry over to this drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.