Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WD External Hard Drive won't show on my comp anymore

18K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
well i've just had 2 western digital external hard drives plugged into my comp because i was transferring some files from my external drive to another, when i was doing this one of my external drives froze and said not responding so i pulled out the power cable (not the usb cable the actual power cable that turns it on) which i've done in the passed without any problems. But now for some reason when i plug the power cable back into my drive it won't show up on my computer, usually i get a little menu bar that appears on my desktop called saying open files which would then give me access to all my data on the drive. When i plug my drive back in it makes a little beep noise indicating that everything is setup but i can't find my external hard drive files, its always come up under my computer under the name of 'elements' but that logo isn't insight. I've looked everywere on my computer but i just can't find it, theres like 2TB's of data on it. My other external hard drives show up with no problem so i can't understand why the other external drive is being arkward. All the connections are by USB and i'm on windows 7 i've restarted my comp but that hasn't made a difference. Like i said i've pulled out the cable in the past without a problem when the drive has froze so i know the must be a way of finding the elements logo. I've tried everything from restarting, switching computers, switching usb ports, uninstalling.

Also when i look in device manager under disc drives my external hard drive is listed under the name of WD Ext HDD 1021 USB Device, and when i right click onto properties it says This device is working properly. I've also uninstalled the drive and reconnected it back which works fine saying this device is ready to use but the hard drive still doesn't show up. I've also tried this on another computer without success.

See less See more
#3 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.