Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

WD External Drive Help Needed

This is a discussion on WD External Drive Help Needed within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently purchased a 1TB MyPassport external drive so i could store all of my media without clogging up my

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently purchased a 1TB MyPassport external drive so i could store all of my media without clogging up my laptop and once i copied all of the files onto my i tried watching movies on my xbox which asked me to reformat, so i complied knowing all my data would be erased (no biggie). The next day i was told the best way to be able to use my drive on both my computer AND xbox was to reformat it to fat32 so when i tried to reformat the only options i had were nsft (?) and fat16.... so i figured id give the fat16 a whirl, halfway through the process my laptop froze up and i had to do a hard restart........ now whenever i plug my harddrive into my usb port it doesnt show up under 'my computer' and my previous shortcut doesnt work either, but the 'safely remove hardware' icon appears on the bottom right of my screen and shows it as mass storage device, as if its working fine.... what should i do to get into my drive again? also, what would be a better format the nsft or fat16?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lawrence WD

HEY SETH

DOES THE DRIVE HAVE SMARTWARE?
IF SO YOU MUST DISABLE THE SMART WARE IN ORDER TO FORMAT THE DRIVE AS FAT32
ALSO THE PARTITION SIZE CANNOT BE MORE THAN 500GB. ALSO USE THE WD ACRONIS FAT32 HERES THE LINK
https://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1

GOOD LUCK
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Win 7 wont boot with external drive
I have a Windows 7 with an external 500GB drive that I purchased a while ago and have had no issues. I recently removed my old 500gb Vista HDD from my old computer with the intentions of using it as an additional data drive. When I installed into an enclosure and plugged in via USB, my Win 7...
goat1202 Removable Media Drives 2 04-27-2011 04:53 PM
Windows XP locks up when I try to copy or move files from external drive to IDE drive
I recently bought an old used PC (Dell XPS Gen. 2 Ė Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM), installed my 1 TB SATA hard drive and a new install of Windows XP SP3. Iíve also got an IDE hard drive in there with lots of media files on it. Iíve been trying to copy or move files from an external USB hard drive to...
Pickngrin Windows XP Support 4 03-24-2011 05:22 PM
[SOLVED] Can't back up files or access system HD as external drive
Hi All, I have a difficult problem in a friends laptop I'd like to sort out. the system: -WinXP v. 5.1 Sp3 - Compaq Presario C300 1gb ram These are the symptoms: - unable to copy and paste, as paste shows up in grey in the right click options - can't drag and drop - can't access network...
kafukalatrava Windows XP Support 5 03-18-2011 03:56 PM
Had an issue with my Seagate external drive
I had an issue late last night with my external drive. It's a Seagate 500 GB Free Agent Desk Drive. I've had it for a couple of years now, and have had no problem with it until today. Pretty much, I was downloading a file through a torrent, when all of a sudden the download stopped midway...
Adug30 Hard Drive Support 3 01-09-2011 11:51 AM
How to copy your operating system from one drive to another.
Please do not post in this thread. I am rewriting an article. thanks. How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another Published by JohnthePilot 11-28-2006 How to copy your operating system from one hard drive to another ________________________________________ How to...
JohnthePilot Dead-Sea Scrolls 2 03-05-2007 11:47 PM