Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WD Elements not being recognized anymore

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Suz84 
#1 ·
HELP ME!!!
My WD Elements was working fine when I got a Windows message to format my hard drive but warned me that I might lose my data, so I chose not to (regretting it now). Now my computer doesn't recognize the drive, though it recognizes that I have plugged in a usb. I have gone into Disk Manager and tried to re-assign a disk letter but when I right click on the drive, it comes up with a CRC error. So, I then I did a dskchk and it told me nothing was wrong with the drive and everything is working fine. So then I have gone onto the WD Elements website and now my best hopes looks like re-formatting my hard drive, but that means losing EVERYTHING on there and I'm not sure if I can afford to do that! I have gone through almost every forum to see any solutions and have followed them all to a T. Please help me SOMEONE!!! I'm about to lose the plot!!!
*insert emoticon of me running around flailing my arms wildly*

#2 ·
"I did a dskchk and it told me nothing was wrong with the drive"

The error-checker in Windows only checks the data on the drive, not the drive itself, so it's wrong to assume "there's nothing wrong with the drive" when the error-checker finds no problems (though it's true the drive itself may also be perfectly okay).

I would test the actual drive with Seagate's SeaTools for Windows from here:
| Seagate

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.