Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

WD 2TB HD failing

This is a discussion on WD 2TB HD failing within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I've got an external HD that appears to be failing. It's a 2TB (NTFS) with about 1.5TB of data

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I've got an external HD that appears to be failing. It's a 2TB (NTFS) with about 1.5TB of data on it. It initially popped up with the error that it needed to be formatted to be used. I ran chkdsk /f and it did finish, but it found several "$I30" errors in the indexes. It's no longer giving the error on formatting, but I can't copy the contents. It fails every time even if I just select a small portion of data. I've tried some data recovery tools as well. One of which I'm using now is Recover my files. At the rate it's scanning blocks it will take weeks to complete. All I really need is a solution to get the data off there before it fails, and back it up to a network drive where I have room for the data. The end user has already purchased a new HD. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Which tools have you tried? GetDataBack allows you to work around bad areas of the drive by selecting starting and ending sectors. That may be worth a shot.

Whatever happens I hope you've explained to them that storing their files on a single drive is not a good idea.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

I've tried EASEUS, which wouldn't allow me to save directly to a network drive, Recover my files (the one I mentioned), and I've tried the WD diagnostic tools. The WD quick test failed, and the extended test stated there were too many errors. I can get a couple very small files to copy, but anything larger and it will lock up in the middle of the process. I googled Get Data Back, and it appears to run around $80. Any free software that would do the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

You will get the "need to Format drive" when windows can not read the boot sector, the drive will show as a RAW drive. Testdisk may be able to rewrite the boot sector TestDisk - CGSecurity make sure to read the wiki.

Your other option would be to reformat the drive as NTFS, then recover the data, as crazy as it sounds, your data will still be on the drive, just don't write any new files to the drive until you have recovered the data.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

I'm giving TestDisk a try now, and I'll post whatever results I have with that. I've seen that mentioned a few times. Just to clarify, I don't care about the drive, I just want to bypass the errors to get the data copied, and Windows is not cooperating. Thanks all for the help so far.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenadiver View Post
You will get the "need to Format drive" when windows can not read the boot sector, the drive will show as a RAW drive. Testdisk may be able to rewrite the boot sector TestDisk - CGSecurity make sure to read the wiki.

Your other option would be to reformat the drive as NTFS, then recover the data, as crazy as it sounds, your data will still be on the drive, just don't write any new files to the drive until you have recovered the data.
And make sure it is a quick format, not a full format.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySack69 View Post
I'm giving TestDisk a try now, and I'll post whatever results I have with that. I've seen that mentioned a few times. Just to clarify, I don't care about the drive, I just want to bypass the errors to get the data copied, and Windows is not cooperating. Thanks all for the help so far.
I've tried copying files off a dying hard drive as well. One time I had a drive with a firmware problem. Found the firmware update that would stop it from bricking itself, but not before it was starting to happen. The silly thing is, I booted off a Windows Pre-install environment kind of disk, and using notepad copied the files over (File > Open). Of course.... I couldn't see how progress was going except to see the hard drive activity light going. I would suggest that you try out BartPE, and get GetDataBack onto it as well. Running the process outside of a OS might be a good idea.

If you are doing this for commercial use, then this is all the more reason why you should buy GetDataBack and keep it as a favorite file recovery program for future use.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Registered Member

Gents, this appears to be fixed, but I'll follow up if it's not. Test disk seems to have fixed the errors, and I was able to copy a couple folders that initially would lock up. I ended up running the deeper search, and then rewriting the partition. After a reboot it seemed tons quicker, and like I say it started letting me copy folders it previously would lock up on. The end user is moving files to a new HD now. Thanks for all the help.
Closed Thread