Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Used Killdisk on WD My Passport

This is a discussion on Used Killdisk on WD My Passport within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I used killdisk on my WD Passport 320GB to try to erase everything. I hit the "Kill Disk" button and

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

I used killdisk on my WD Passport 320GB to try to erase everything. I hit the "Kill Disk" button and started erasing, in the middle of it there was something I forgot to backup. And when I stopped the wiping my passport. I exited the "Active Killdisk" program. I restarted and the computer didn't show the external HD. But when I open active killdisk, it shows it.

Any idea how to fix? It costed me $60 and I don't feel like buying a new one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Enthusiast

Your computer cannot "see" that drive anymore because "Active Kill Disk" not only destroys data, it also destroys the partition containing that data. Windows Explorer can't show a drive which has no partitions or drive-letters assigned to it.

You will need to create a new partition on the drive, then format it, after which Windows will assign a drive-letter to it.

With the drive connected, go into Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management.

In the left-pane, click Disk Management.
In the right-pane at bottom, right-click the horizontal ribbon which represents the external drive and choose "Create Partition".

When partition has been created, right-click the ribbon again and choose "Format".
Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks alot, I also have another question.

I want to change it from NTFS to FAT32 so I can play video files and music on my PS3. But I was reading and it said that you should only convert it to FAT32 if it's 32GB or less.

And if I can, what free program should I use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Try swissknife
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search