Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USB WD elements crashing ? / Windows Vista not responding

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 ·
Hello,

Can anybody help me out with the following?

I use an Acer computer with 2 USB external harddrive. At some moment Windows explorer is extremely slow. Several times i could not even shut down the explorer in task manager. Shutting down the computer was also extremely slow, even starting up. Therefore i re-installed Windows Vista. Before re-installing Vista i disconnected any other devices from the computer. So far so good. Fast computer everything OK /normal. One-by-one re-connected the other devices like printer etc. After connecting my Western Digital elements 1,5 Tb USB drive, eveything is again extremely slow. It contains data like photo's an HD film of my kids etc. Really really stupid, but i needed the other external USB harddisk for some other tasks. Therfore no backup available of the photo's and film HDD. Now i had the problem detected. At this point i directly copied everything to HDD nr 2. The speed of the harddisk was getting worse / not reliable. At some moment it was fine, and 2 minutes later the transfer time was really bad. I've managed to copy 200 GB of the 400GB. The status is now when attached that the WD USB led only blinks.

Now the solutions i tried.

The harddisk is spinning. Because it is an external USB drive, i hoped the problem is located in the interface between USB and SATA. Opened the case, and removed the WD HDD. Opened the computercase and installed the HD. after powering up I see an American Megatrends Bios screen, and there it says for the first (!) time Harddisk = bad, backup and replace! (tell me something new!!) F1 resumes starting Windows, but it doesn't start up (waited 30 min) Power down (5sec pushed the button), and unplugged the bad HDD and started Windows. On the site of WD is a data life guard for DOS (so i dont have to start windows because the SATA HDD is not hot (?) pluggable) this tool doesn't recognize the HDD WD20EACS. And tells me te get an older version of the life guard.

Lots of text, but has anyone a serious solution ?

Hope so

Greetings Denniske

See less See more
#2 ·
If it is still under warranty, you can get it serviced/replaced.

If it's not under warranty, or you don't care if the warranty will be VOID, then continue.

You can remove the HDD from the external enclosure, and attach it internally, or via a USB adapter or a new external enclosure. Many external drive failures are simply the result of a faulty enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.