Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Upgrading Partitioned HDD for More Space

This is a discussion on Upgrading Partitioned HDD for More Space within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay, hopefully this is where I'm supposed to post. Sorry, if not. My XP laptop HDD is running out of

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Vlakken

Okay, hopefully this is where I'm supposed to post. Sorry, if not.

My XP laptop HDD is running out of space. It currently has a primary partition for the OS, then 3 secondary partitions, all on the same HDD.

I'm going to use Macrium Reflect to make a boot CD, and a backup image of my primary partition. The other 3 partitions I will do later, for different reasons.

Now, given that my new HDD is going to be bigger than my current one, I have a problem.

I want to clone the primary partition (my OS and all programs) to avoid the major installation task of starting afresh. However, I want to partition the hard drive, once it's been loaded from the back up, for those other 3 secondary partitions.

I don't want to clone all of my partitions, because I fear then I will have the same space problem, I'll just have another partition with the difference in space between my new and old HDDs. Which, granted, I could do, but I'm pedantic and want things just so.

My real question is... can I use the clone of my current primary partition to put onto my new HDD, then can I repartition the HDD to accommodate the three partitions of various sizes AFTER my OS and programs are there? Or is partitioning only available when reinstalling XP?

Hopefully, I've explained this properly. If not, PLEASE ask me to clarify anything, and I'll do my best. I'm really stuck here, and my space is really low.

Thanks!

Danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What I believe the problem will be is with the MBR, this is what contains the boot loader code as well as the partition tabel. You will need that to boot, which means the definition of the three partitions will go along with it. In other worsds to get a bootable disk, you will probably need to clone the entire drive. You could then use a third party partition manager to extend the other partitions to the size you want. Are all the partitions primary partitions or is one an extended?
Old 03-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Vlakken

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_pa View Post
Are all the partitions primary partitions or is one an extended?
Only the C Drive partition is primary. The other three partitions seem to be grouped into one extended, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_pa View Post
You could then use a third party partition manager to extend the other partitions to the size you want.
I'm trying to keep the cost down, and by down, I mean to nil. Suggestions for a free third party manager worth its salt? I found this suggestion:
https://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Com...ormatting.html

Thoughts?
Closed Thread