Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

unRAIDing hard drives

This is a discussion on unRAIDing hard drives within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just bought a new computer with 2 SATA HDD setup in a RAID 0 array. On my old computer

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just bought a new computer with 2 SATA HDD setup in a RAID 0 array. On my old computer I have 2 PATA HDD setup in the same RAID 0. What I want to do is to unRAID the 2 PATA drives from the old computer(after I backup my files) and use them for storage on the new one. Both computers have Win XP on them. How can I get the old PATA HDD's unRAIDed and get WinXP off them so that I can start with them like they were brand new? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 04:16 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Wink

WOW I love these easy pitches >>>> nice & slow right down the center or the plate

your goal is super easy / download (floppy version) a hard drive eraser like Dban Boot & nuke (free & in my signature) then run the nuker prog from the floppy drive >>>> you computer must have the boot order set to boot from floppy as first device (this is the most common configuration so you may not have to change anything !!)

once the nuke program open and gets into its console / you will be offered "options" use the "type auto nuke" feature as its the easiest thats it >>>>> its a slow program as it makes three passes to zero fill your drive >> but when doen your drive will be exactly as clean as it was the day it came from the factory !!

just make sure to uplug the 4 pin power connectors from any drives you DONT want nukes >>> dban has the ability to wipe multiple drives if you start that by accident then there is NO recovery >>>> there is no recovery process in the world thats gonna recover data after dban is done !!!!

I have found that nuking a hard drive before EVERY OS install has saved me from alot of glitchy installs that were troublesome from data fragments left behind by formatting

dont hesitate to ask more questions & let us know how you progress
regards

joe
Old 12-10-2005, 08:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

linderman, thanks for the info. I downloaded DBAN and burned it to a CD. Only problem is that when I check the CD to see what files are on it, it automatically opens up my EZ-CD Creator program instead of showing what files are on it?? Also I have only 1 file(iso) and it says on the DBAN website that if you open the CD after burning it, and there is only one file, then you burned it the wrong way. So I don't know if I did it right or not. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

you need to go into your cd Creator ,Create CD or data cd> file> record from cd image and select the ISO file.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:04 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
why not just use the floppy version >>>> its easier

unless of course you are just answering a challenge ????

then I believe OLDMN's solution will work / try booting from the CD you have created ????

dban is a VERY easy program to use

joe
Closed Thread