Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Unallocated space

This is a discussion on Unallocated space within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently my hard drive failed. I bought a new 4 TB drive and planned to install Win10 on it but

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Recently my hard drive failed. I bought a new 4 TB drive and planned to install Win10 on it but first divided it into 3 partitions. Unfortunately, it appears I am a moron and the software I used to partition it was not able to recognize the full 4TB, and before I realized it, I had the 240 GB partition I wanted for Win and only one other partition of about 1.8 TB.

I installed Windows, and the unallocated space of 1.6 TB was visible. I assumed I would be able to use the disk manager to make this into a viable partition, but in disc management if I right click on that space, all the options are grayed out.

I tried two recommended partition utilities without help. One didn't even see this unallocated space, and the other said there was a partition error it could not fix.

I then decided I would re install Win and during installation try to reclaim this space. It lets me work with the other two usable partitions and delete and change them, but if I try to do something with this unallocated space, I get an error message with a string of numbers identifying it.

So, it seems I totally messed up the drive. My question is, is there some way to save it? Is there some other disc utility someone could recommend that would allow me to reclaim this space?

I really don't care about re installing Win again if it would allow me to get this space back.

Thanks.

SMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Try using a UEFI boot and a GPT partition style.

More info here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...artition-style
Old 05-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you, and having read about GPT I now understand the problem. The problem is that this disc has 3 partitions on it, and one is the Windows OS and according to that KB article, the partitions need to be deleted to make the change. So, there is no way I can delete all the partitions on that drive and then perform a change from MBR to GPT. Is a utility I can use to do this after booting to a CD ROM or USB drive? I can then make this change and reinstall Windows.

Thank you for the information.

SMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

All drives over the capacity of 2TB's must initialized as GPT to get the full capacity of the drive.
To convert to GPT, you need a 3rd party partitioning software Like Minitool, Easeus, GParted etc. or you can boot off of the Windows installer, and after choosing your language, press Shift+F10 to get to the Command Prompt.
3- In the RE (recovery environment) choose command prompt and type following commands pressing Enter after each bold command:
i) diskpart
(ie) DISKPART >
ii) list disk
(ie) DISKPART > list disk
It now lists disk by number
you have to select the disk next with
iii) select disk <disk number>
(ie) DISKPART> Select Disk (disk number) = as listed in previous command. The selected disk now has an Asterisk next to it. iv) clean (this erases all data on the Disk, so be sure you choose the correct one)
(ie) DISKPART> clean
v) convert gpt

At this point you can go back to the Windows install, you do not need to create partitions or format them, Windows will do the rest, unless you want to create separate partitions for storage.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Registered Member

thank you. I will try it next weekend.

SMK
Closed Thread