Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to access Data drive

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Satish23 
#1 ·
My WD 1 TB with complete data on it all of a sudden is not accessible. The Drive even though is detected in My computer shows up only with a drive letter & when accessed it throws an error mssg: Drive is inaccessible, Drive is not Formated. When you close the error mssg another one pops up. Data Error CRC,
The Drive shows up in Disk Management & the file system is RAW. The drive has no partitions & is filled with Important Data. I dont wanna loose them , Please help me recover the data or the drive.

#2 ·
Use the drive manufacturers disk tools to test the drive. The tools are available from the drive manufacturers (WD) website. If the tests fail, the drive is faulty.

And although it's too late now, you should have a backup copy of any data that is important. Computers and their parts fail all of the time, most often without any warning.

#3 ·
The drive was working fine initially. I had 2 HDD in my PC. The 1st one is again an WD 500GB drive which had the OS & the 2nd one being the 1TB WD drive. Initially the 500GB was dying & i was quickly able to get the data from it, While the 1 TB was still working fine. After i got the 500GB replaced. Then Installed the Windows 7 on the 500GB & checked , that's when i not able to access the 1 TB drive. I have however ran the Test on the 1TB WD HDD & it also seems to have a problem.

The other day while was browsing the forum, Came across a thread which pretty much seems to have the same kind of issue. As suggested in that post, i ran the Test Disk prog & was able to See all my files & folders from the 1 TB Drive. The Boot Sector of the HDD is Bad or corrupted. But the Backup BS is still in good shape. I Tried to Backup & RebuildBS options & it failed to Write it. I'm not really sure on how to use this Test Prog, Is there a way we can fix the Boot Sector as thats where the problem seems to be related. Can i get some help on this. Plz

#5 ·
If the drives failed the test(s), they are faulty. So there isn't a "fix" for them. Yes you may be able to retrieve some or all of your files. But, you will need a working HDD to recover the files to (ie: recovery copies the files from the bad HDD to a good HDD). And if they are faulty, plan carefully as remaining drive operation time may be limited.

If the drives passed the testing, then you can try correcting the drive issue. I've had decent luck with Partition Table Doctor (recovers the partition information and FAT). As for data recovery, I've used EaseUS in the past.

As I said, what you attempt to do, depends entirely the drive testing.

And regardless of the testing, unless you just have really crappy luck, there is likely an underlying issue that is causing the drive issues. Drive failure would most likely be the result of heat or power supply issues. Drive corruption would likely be the power supply, cables, or the drive controller.

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I Totally agree that there is no fix for a faulty Drive, rather it has be replaced. But before the replacement i need to have the data recovered as it has lots of important data on it. The Test Disk is able to see my files & i am not able to access it bcs the boot Sector is bad. I think the partition table is messed up , is there a way to correct that so that i can access the files & recover them. I however will try the Easus to recover the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.