Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Unable to access administrator folder in win 7 in slave after installing ssd w/ win10

This is a discussion on Unable to access administrator folder in win 7 in slave after installing ssd w/ win10 within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My hdd with windows 7 was slowing down, so I installed ssd with windows 10. To recover data on desktop

Old 01-19-2020, 01:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

My hdd with windows 7 was slowing down, so I installed ssd with windows 10.
To recover data on desktop folder in win 7, I tried to access administrators folder under users where I believe desktop folder exists, but I couldn't gain access.

All the attempts to change security setting, privilieges, ownership of folders ended up in errors or stalling.

I cannot boot from the old HDD with win 7 even after disconnecting the sdd and setting the hdd as master.

What are other ways that I can try to access the folder?

Would it work if I tried to connect the hard drive externally via USB cable?

Given that Win 7 maybe corrupted now, can I install win 7 or win 10 to replace win 7 without formatting or deleting the data on desktop folder?
snvplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 02:12 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
I tried to access administrators folder under users where I believe desktop folder exists
First off, where do you believe the Desktop folder exists?
Your User files (ie) Desktop, Documents, Pictures etc should be under your User Name. (ie) C:\Users\[YourUserName\. The Administrator account is a Hidden Account to use if your User name profile becomes corrupted, you can use the Administrator account to access the computer to fix your profile. There are no files in the Administrator account to view.
If you are speaking of your User Profile account name which is also an Administrator, then You can Take Ownership your User Name directory and gain access that way.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Under users folder, I only saw Administrator and shared folders, so I believe administrator was also the user name as you mentioned.

I will try the software you suggested.

BTW, if this still doesn't give me the access to the folder, will connecting the hard drive externally via usb bypass thee ownership / security problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 02:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
First off, where do you believe the Desktop folder exists?
Your User files (ie) Desktop, Documents, Pictures etc should be under your User Name. (ie) C:\Users\[YourUserName\. The Administrator account is a Hidden Account to use if your User name profile becomes corrupted, you can use the Administrator account to access the computer to fix your profile. There are no files in the Administrator account to view.
If you are speaking of your User Profile account name which is also an Administrator, then You can Take Ownership your User Name directory and gain access that way.
Under users folder, I only saw Administrator and shared folders, so I believe administrator was also the user name as you mentioned.

If by any chance, there was indeed a different user name, and is invisible because it's corrupted. Is there a way to recover the files from the desktop using data recovery softwares?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

It is rare that the Hidden Administrator account is the only Admin user under the C:\Users Directory, But it could happen.
It doesn't matter how the drive is hooked up to the computer for permissions, Internally as a secondary drive is the most reliable.
Can you remember when you logged into Windows 7 last, what name came up for you login as? Did it have a name or was it only Administrator?
If you logged in under a name, and that User Name is not under C:\Users Directory, then it is unlikely that you can recover any files there. You can try various Data Recovery programs, All are free to download and scan, but cost if you want to recover files to another drive. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack, you do need another drive of the same size or larger to restore the files to.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:22 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
It is rare that the Hidden Administrator account is the only Admin user under the C:\Users Directory, But it could happen.
It doesn't matter how the drive is hooked up to the computer for permissions, Internally as a secondary drive is the most reliable.
Can you remember when you logged into Windows 7 last, what name came up for you login as? Did it have a name or was it only Administrator?
If you logged in under a name, and that User Name is not under C:\Users Directory, then it is unlikely that you can recover any files there. You can try various Data Recovery programs, All are free to download and scan, but cost if you want to recover files to another drive. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack, you do need another drive of the same size or larger to restore the files to.
Thanks for the info, will give it a try. Another quick question, the drive has win 7 instailed, can I install windows 7 or upgrade to 10 without deleting / corrupting the files on desktop?

I really appreciate your input / advice!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you are planning on installing any OS on the old Windows 7 drive that was slowing down, be aware that the reason it is slowing down is because the HDD is beginning to fail. If the old Windows 7 HDD is still attached, and you have a secondary HDD with Windows 10 on it,Boot into Windows 10 and download HD Tune, not Pro. Open the app take the drop down arrow and choose the Windows 7 HDD. go to the Error Correction tab and do a full Error Scan, not a Quick one. If all the boxes are Green, the drive is in great health. If any of the blocks are Red, that signifies a Bad Sector. If you have more then one or two, the HDD needs to be Replaced.
As for Windows 7, it is no longer supported by Microsoft. You can still use it, but if online it is more vulnerable, and it is subject to attack. And will no longer be updated.
You can install Windows 10 using the Windows 7 key. It is not suggested to Upgrade Windows on a drive that is failing.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are planning on installing any OS on the old Windows 7 drive that was slowing down, be aware that the reason it is slowing down is because the HDD is beginning to fail. If the old Windows 7 HDD is still attached, and you have a secondary HDD with Windows 10 on it,Boot into Windows 10 and download HD Tune, not Pro. Open the app take the drop down arrow and choose the Windows 7 HDD. go to the Error Correction tab and do a full Error Scan, not a Quick one. If all the boxes are Green, the drive is in great health. If any of the blocks are Red, that signifies a Bad Sector. If you have more then one or two, the HDD needs to be Replaced.
As for Windows 7, it is no longer supported by Microsoft. You can still use it, but if online it is more vulnerable, and it is subject to attack. And will no longer be updated.
You can install Windows 10 using the Windows 7 key. It is not suggested to Upgrade Windows on a drive that is failing.
Thanks again for the information and suggestion! Will try HD Tune.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks again for the information and suggestion! Will try HD Tune.