Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Trying to access my old PC's Data Files

This is a discussion on Trying to access my old PC's Data Files within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My old PC stopped working about 10 days ago so I purchased a new computer. I am trying to access

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

My old PC stopped working about 10 days ago so I purchased a new computer. I am trying to access the working files on my old PC's hard drive but I am having trouble getting access. When I plug in the old hard drive into my new PC's USB, I hear it running and clicking. After a few minutes the drives on the hard drive appear. Drives are System (F), OS (G), and HP Recovery (H). I tried accessing my working files through OS (G), via the users folder. When I do so, I get the message that I don't have current permission, then I get a window with the message: click to continue to permanently access to this folder. When I do, it says "Denied" To gain access you will need to go through the security tab. I am not sure how to use the security tab or what to do when I get there to access the files on the folder. The drives on the hard drive disappear after a couple of minutes.

My old hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. My new PC is running Windows 10 and is a 64 Bit.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you mean your personal files, don't you have them backed up on some other media?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

I do have a backup system but I would back the files manually. I hadn't backed them up in a couple of months. Can you help me with this issue? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

File Explorer>Right Click Documents>Properties>Security

Old 10-12-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
hear it running and clicking
The drive should not be Clicking, that is a sign the drive is failing and is probably not accessible.
You can try and Take ownership of the folder https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take...in-windows-10/
But if that fails, and the drive is clicking, the drive has failed.
likekinds likes this.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
The drive should not be Clicking, that is a sign the drive is failing and is probably not accessible.
You can try and Take ownership of the folder https://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take...in-windows-10/
But if that fails, and the drive is clicking, the drive has failed.

Thanks. I will give that a try. I'll let you know either way what happened.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I avoided making the suggestion since I thought everything was OK in its old computer. Was it?

Old 10-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
I avoided making the suggestion since I thought everything was OK in its old computer. Was it?
Like I mentioned in my original post, my PC stopped working. Not sure what went wrong. It crashed about 9 months ago possibly due to the processor being full of dust, but can't confirm that. I vacuumed the dust off and cleaned all fans and then had to do a complete system recovery and it had worked until a week and a half ago. Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Try this:
  1. Press [Winkey][E] to load Windows Explorer, then right-click your external hard drive and select Properties.
    (Important Note: Do NOT select your drive C:)
  2. Select the Sharing tab and then click the Advanced Sharing button.

3. Make sure there is a checkmark in the little box next to the Share this folder option and then click on Permissions.

4. Select "Everyone" from the list and then place a checkmark in the Full Control box in the Allow column.

5. Click Apply and OK to save changes.

6. Now check to see if the problem has been resolved. If not, reboot and try again.

Let us know what happens ...
Old 10-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #10
Registered Member

I will try that recommendation. Thank you.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

You're welcome.

Let us know what happens? ...
Closed Thread