Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Troublehsooting old HDs

This is a discussion on Troublehsooting old HDs within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I have two separate cases I will bring forth in this thread. I was doing some maintenance and stumbled

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi.

I have two separate cases I will bring forth in this thread. I was doing some maintenance and stumbled upon two old internal hard drive disks that were not being used. I wanted to try and see if I can atleast get them to be detected by my desktop in order to possibly retrieve any files that I may still have on there/possibly fix and use as slave hard drive disks.

Hard Drive Disk #1: 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
Hard Drive Disk #2: 80GB IDE Hard Drive

Hard Drive Disk #1 is a drive that came pre-assembled with my current enclosure. I swapped it for a 1TB internal hard drive disk about a year ago. These are the properties of said drive.

Hard Drive Disk #2 is a drive that dates back from June 2009. It was a faulty drive that my computer technician had recovered it's data onto a new drive. These are the properties of that drive as well as the note that was included upon picking it up from my technician's store.

I tried installing both hard drives separately, one at a time, but despite noticing their disks were operational (running, clear sign of power), neither were detected in the 'My Computer' dialog box for Windows Explorer or in the Storage section under Computer Management. I would prefer not to format the drives in order to use them since my initial interest to test them was sparked by the very possibility of finding old recoverable media (but if need be, I will do so). Keep in mind, I did not change either drive's jumper settings (master/slave) when troubleshooting.

What I would like to know:
  • If I can re-install the drive(s) for use, is it recommended?
  • If so, how can I do so?

Personally, 250GB and 80GB is still quite a lot of hard drive capacity if it can be salvaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

With the drives connected can you post a screenshot of the Disk Management windows.

Start > in the Search field type diskmgmt.msc

When the IDE drive was connected what position was the Jumper placed?
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Disk Management window:

Keep in mind my 3TB external HDD was connected, that is what is displayed as 'FreeAgent GoFlex Drive'. The 'C:' and 'System Reserved' is my main HD. Hark Disk Drive #1 & #2 don't show up.

I did not change any of the jumpers. When I tested them in my system, they were placed as displayed on the images provided above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I tried using Darik's Boot And Nuke ( DBAN) on both drives to see if I could wipe them and possibly fix the issue (since I managed to get the data off of them already). They both failed the wipe with the following results:

For the 250GB SATA HDD:

For the 80GB IDE HDD:

N.B.: I can ascertain that DBAN works well as I have used it succesfully more than once.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I have two old hard drives that I no longer use. An IDE drive and a SATA drive.
One was returned to me from a PC technician with instructions "not to use and that it's bad quality". The other I just upgraded.

If I wanted to try to run a full series of drive checks to make sure they are fit for use, would that be possible? Is there such a protocol?

Both drives have been wiped clean using DBAN so there is no concern for data loss. They're empty.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Team Manager - Networking

you should find a set of tools available from the harddrive manufacturer
whats the make and model of the two HDD
Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The IDE is by WESTERN DIGITAL. WD800JB - 00JJC0 (80GB)
The SATA is by a company called Magnetic Data Technologies. MDL: MD02500 - BQDW (250GB)
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Team Manager - Networking

you may find the test too under the particular drive
WD Support / Downloads / Select Product

this comes up for the model WD800JB
WD Support / Downloads / EIDE (PATA) / WD Caviar Blue

heres a list of testers
lowlevel-format

i think Magnetic Data Technologies hard drives are "REPAIRED" Western Digital drives, but only from a couple of forums
Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

OK I'll take a look when I have time. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Registered Member

Are there any numbers on the MD02500-BQDW PCB, eg "2061-nnnnnn" on the label or "2060-nnnnnn" on the PCB?
Old 03-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sorry but I realized that I had posted this topic before. Is there a way to merge this thread with the following: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ks-669003.html
Old 03-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Merged . .
Old 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Both of these drives have failed but you can run the WD DataLifeGuard for Windows and do the Short and Long tests on the drive. If either tests fails that drive will need to be replaced.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks Old Rich.

OK spunk, I'll connect them to my PC and try the tests when I have a chance. Is it advisable to run the WD tests on the other MAG drive? I was told the disk utilities need to be specific to their drive makes.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

The MAG drive is actually a White Label Recertified (Refurbished) drive (It says so on the label) From either WD or Seagate. DataLifeGuard will work for either manufacturer, but If there is any life left in it, will only Fix a WD drive in the Long test. In that case you can run SeaTools for Windows | Seagate
Old 03-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
but If there is any life left in it, will only Fix a WD drive in the Long test. In that case you can run SeaTools for Windows | Seagate
I don't understand that part..
Closed Thread