Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Trouble with HDD

This is a discussion on Trouble with HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I've run into a problem with my HDD (Samsung 1TB 7200rpm) after installing Windows 10. It goes into full

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I've run into a problem with my HDD (Samsung 1TB 7200rpm) after installing Windows 10. It goes into full usage mode from the start up and stays at 99-100% usage in task manager (idle).

I ran diagnostics for the drive itself, it is in good condition and should not have any problems.

Send help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Open up task manager and make sure the processor tab is clicked, then look under "Disk" and scroll down to see what is running.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:42 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Open up task manager and make sure the processor tab is clicked, then look under "Disk" and scroll down to see what is running.
That's the problem there is nothing that is showing high usage. This is a fresh windows 10 install. The only program I've downloaded are some drivers for graphics and CPU.

To point out, I have a extra hard drive lying around and swapping them out (both running on win 10) doesn't change the 100% usage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Check your event log, start--run-eventvwr.msc , check under Application & system, see if you have a lot of logging happening there.

If for some reason, events are being logged every few seconds by a process/application, this could cause huge I/O on the disk causing high utilization but may not actually appear in Task Manager as a process.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
Check your event log, start--run-eventvwr.msc , check under Application & system, see if you have a lot of logging happening there.

If for some reason, events are being logged every few seconds by a process/application, this could cause huge I/O on the disk causing high utilization but may not actually appear in Task Manager as a process.
So before checking that I tried to just leave everything loading, not opening up anything. I could hear the hard drive overloading (this happens on boot and first minute or two on desktop) but then stops.

I tried checking for logs while it's under the overloading process but couldn't find any processes running. So my drive is just having issues loading up the windows 10?

So I feel like this only happens during the boot but has not occurred with previous versions of Windows, only after windows 10.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:52 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

In Windows 10, for the first few minutes when it boots up, disk utilization may show 100%, that's ok as long as it settles down after.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:54 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
In Windows 10, for the first few minutes when it boots up, disk utilization may show 100%, that's ok as long as it settles down after.
I see, that's a bit annoying, as you said first minutes is really unstable and can't do anything. Will upgrading the drive to something faster, like a good SSD improve this?
Old 07-26-2018, 05:15 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I think this could be due to Search Indexing that happens at boot time (it could be due to other reasons as well)

I've never checked on a SSD though, let me test it tonight and will let you know tomorrow if the same happens on a SSD.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
I think this could be due to Search Indexing that happens at boot time (it could be due to other reasons as well)

I've never checked on a SSD though, let me test it tonight and will let you know tomorrow if the same happens on a SSD.
I hear you, much gratitude.
Closed Thread