Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Transferring Data from Old HDD to New HDD

This is a discussion on Transferring Data from Old HDD to New HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have the laptop in this video, a Sager NP-9377, from a few years ago. You Tube I'd like to

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have the laptop in this video, a Sager NP-9377, from a few years ago.

I'd like to perform this upgrade for the HDD myself using this video so I don't have to pay for a service but I've never done this before. How would I transfer the data from my old, smaller HDDs to the new, larger capacity HDDs after I've removed the smaller HDD and replaced them with the larger capacity HDDs? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Once you have removed the smaller drive, and installed the newer larger drive. You then would have to install Windows and all of your programs.
Once that is complete you get a USB-SATA Adapter, Dock or Enclosure. Attach your smaller drive to the adapter and plug it into the computer with the newer larger drive. The smaller drive will come up as another drive in This PC (My Computer) You then drag/drop or Copy/Paste your personal files to the new drive. Or
If the smaller drive is working and in good shape, you can use a Clone software like Macrium Reflect. Attach the large drive via the adapter then start Macrium or any other Clone software program like Aomi, Acronis or Easeus and choose to Clone the small drive to the larger one. The clone software will recognize that it's cloning to a larger drive and make the adjustment. Then replace smaller drive with larger drive. The computer should boot and be an exact mirror copy of the smaller drive but with a lot more room.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retrieving MAC-OS data from a faulty HDD
I have a mid-2012 macbook pro laptop. The original 500GB HDD for it has two partitions. I have one partition for Windows 7 and the original partition for OS X's files. The HDD suddenly failed and is no longer able to boot, nor is it even recognized by OS X's disk utility. However, there's a file...
Aurora Symphony Hard Drive Support 7 11-25-2015 08:33 AM
My poor neighbor slow running with ads everywhere
My neighbor asked me for help, and I had mentioned the success I had with your help sometime back with my own PC. Their PC is running disastrously slow and gets pop up advertising every few seconds. Here's the DDS I ran from their machine: DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01) - NTFS_AMD64 Internet...
dandoming Resolved HJT Threads 27 01-23-2013 10:41 PM
Newish 149GB HDD being eaten alive and filling up with unknown data..
My laptop PC is an IBM Thinkpad that recently had it's 30GB HDD changed out for a larger 149GB HDD. The original Win XP SP 3 was transferred from the 30GB HDD to the new HDD. Data was previously backed up to my portable 500GB HDD. Almost at once a report of trojan MURLO was fixed by Spyware. Full...
AdrianJenkyn Windows XP Support 1 03-26-2012 10:35 PM
How to connect an IDE cd/dvd drive to a SATA connector on a motherboard?
Here is my problem: I have a desktop pc, with inside it 2 x IDE HDs, and 1 x IDE /dvd drive However, I only have ONE IDE connector on my motherboard. I do have a working (unused) SATA connector on my mb My question now is: How can I get a CD/DVD drive to work?
michaelbeijer Removable Media Drives 3 05-10-2010 02:32 AM