Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Toshiba 2TB HDD with very slow reads, acceptable writes

This is a discussion on Toshiba 2TB HDD with very slow reads, acceptable writes within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi gang: I reached this forum from google, which directed me to an old thread about almost exactly the problem

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi gang:

I reached this forum from google, which directed me to an old thread about almost exactly the problem I am experiencing. Like me, that user had a 2TB Toshiba SATA HDD which was reading slowly, with read activity usually pegged at 100%, and like me, his write speeds were acceptable. (My reads typically do not exceed 3MB/sec, though I typically write 17MB/sec.)

The old thread is here:

https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...d-1154777.html

Although that problem/thread was labelled SOLVED I did not really see any definitive answer there. The user's problem went away after he tried the drive elsewhere and returned it to his machine, and perhaps the suggestion to 'shake out' the SATA cable/connection/port is a good one... (BTW, this is a notebook and a 2.5" drive - unclear about that on the other thread. Will I even _find_ another SATA port on my motherboard?... I have not opened the machine again to try anything yet, and just wondered before I did so if anything new was known about such a syndrome.. Some comments suggested that Toshibas were simply lousy, and I could believe that, having used Seagate drives before with better success. The symptom of getting poor reads but not poor writes like the previous thread, with same make and size drive, makes me suspect the drive rather than connection as well, but I don't really know. 'Short DST failure' was mentioned as a test result there, but I don't know what that means, so enlighten me if you can.

All help greatly appreciated.

dk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

DST = "Drive Self-Test", a built-in test of the physical integrity of a hard drive.

Many laptops run a short DST test on the hard drive each time the computer boots up.

A "Short DST failure" error would mean a problem has been detected with the hard drive.

If you would like to double-check those results, Toshiba has hard drive diagnostics in their support section under downloads.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the make and model# of your laptop?
How old is the drive?
Many models of laptops have Diagnostics which you can login to by pressing F12 or ESC at bootup. As stated, this will run the short DST test. If this fails, then the drive is starting to fail and should be backed up and replaced ASAP.