Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Three SATA discs bricked after connecting to C602J chipset

This is a discussion on Three SATA discs bricked after connecting to C602J chipset within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a question where I didn't find response using Google... I have a couple of WD green discs,

Old 05-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I have a question where I didn't find response using Google...

I have a couple of WD green discs, WD black Enterprise, and one HGST
WD2002FYPS-01U1B0
WD15EADS-00R6B0 ( have three of them)
HGST HDS724040ALE640

All of my discs did work, the HGST has less than 20 hours, the WD200 some thousand and the WD15EADS some houndred. Used as archive disc in external case.

Then I got a Supermicro X9DRD Mainboard with Intel C609 chipset and wanted to have them connected to the 6 SATA ports the board has. 2x SaTA 6G and four SATA 3G

One WD green disk works (another 2 TB WD green), two 320 GB WD disk do work, one OCZ Trion SSD and one Plextor SSD do work...

But after connecting the three discs mentioned above they went silent.

Meaning they do spin up, but they don't appear in BIOS of three other computers I du have. I dont believe that they are totally dead because they still do spin up... are there any possibilities of diagnostics?

Long time ago I got an OCZ Vertex bricked just connecting it to an Intel ICH9 chipset, and on a different PC I was able to unbrick it. So I hope there are unbrick tools for other discs but where to find?
ojutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

It may be a coincidence, or a failing PSU that is causing it.
Boot into Setup (Bios) go to PC Health and check the Voltages,.
Quote:
are there any possibilities of diagnostics?
To run Diagnostics, the drives must be recognized by the Bios. If they don't power up, then you can't do any DIY diagnostics,
You can check your warranty status and send the drives back on an RMA. And they will send you a Refurbished one in return for free.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks so far but
a) all discs are out of warranty, even the 4TB disc that came with 7 years extended warranty because it's warranty starts with production date and that was dec 2012

b) the bios health section but also the IPMI do not show overvoltage, 12v is as it should be, 5v is as it should be, the only mod I did was that my RAM was recognised as DDR3 6400 and I corrected that to DDR3 8500 but the RAM is also rated for DDR3 8500

c) all three discs do power up ( I already mentioned that)

d) two of them were enterprise class and have exended protection against power surges and overvoltage. WD consumer discs do have a very primitive overvoltage protection where a resistor gets burnt (a 10 cent part and 10 minutes work) but then they don't power up any more. Have to dig into the firmware diagnostics thing, at least WD discs do have a serial port where one could fire some commands and see the response, even burn new firmware on it. Sometimes discs power up and then fail to read their disc stored firmware....
ojutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Ontrack.com
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I should have said Spin Up instead of Power Up, but SSD's don't have platters. Either way, if the drive doesn't show in the Bios, then you cannot run Diagnostics on it, it has to be recognized by the computer to do DIY diagnostics. If the data is critical and you have no backup, you can send the drives to a Data Recovery Center.
As for why this is happening, you may just have bad luck, and it's coincidental. Or there was a power surge from your PSU that took them out.