Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The partitions on my hard drive are jacked!

809 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  michaelvibe 
#1 ·
First post here, long time reader.

Here is what has happened. I tried resizing an existing partition on my hard drive to install Windows 8. After resizing this partition (Windows setup claimed it was unallocated space, weird) and installing the only partition that Windows recognizes is the twenty GB one that I installed it to. I tried 'find and mount' a nifty little program that has saved me from this in the past (partition mishaps have happened to me before.) I did a thorough scan but it can't find any of the partitions. I also tried 'recover my files' to no avail. What else should I try doing? My drive is encrypted using true-crypt. Should I decrypt it and try to find the files and or partitions again?

I tried plugging the drive into another computer, and I can see the partition that I need to access, but Windows wants me to format it. Silly Windows!

Thanks guys and girls

#3 ·
Data recovery can be done whether you can see the partition or not. It is quicker if the partitions are intact, otherwise you have to resort to using a full disc scan.

I've had decent luck with EaseUS. It will just take time.

You can also give Partition Table Doctor a try to see if you can fix/restore the partitions.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.