Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Testdisk shows MFT and MFT Mirror Bad

14K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
Hello to all!
I really hope to get a solution to this problem as I have lots of important data on my drive. I got here through a thread answered by Deleted090308 that knew alot about using testdisk. So any help from him or anyone else would be greatly appreciated :pray:

To the subject:

I have a 1TB external HD that was working fine for long time.
Yesterday I connected it to my pc running win7, and I got a windows prompt that there are errors on the disk and it asked me if I'd like to scan and fix them, which I said yes. After a quick search it said it found errors and fixed them for me, and eversince I can't access my drive.
it is reccognized in the taskbar, and in my computer it shows as "Local Disk" but it really slows everything and I can't really access the drive. It doesn't show the drive's LABEL or size or anything, it seems like it's just loaded the drivers right but nothing else.

I have read that Testdisk can help, and I tried doing the regular steps, of analize - quick search - when clicking "P" I can see my files - then "Write" and restart the system, but the problem remains!
because the drive is connected, startup takes forever, and I can't access or see the file on the drive.

I also get "The drive is not formatted" message, which ofcourse I ignore.

When going to "Boot sector recovery" it says Boot sector OK, Backup Boot sector OK, and @ "Repair MFT" I get MFT and MFT Mirror Bad...

I have only one partition on the disk, it's NTFS and it shows right up as bootable (with *)..
I can see all of my files, and it seems lie all I need to do is rewrite the file table, but I don't have a clue on how to do that.....

Any help would be highly appreciated!

thank you!!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
First off you are taking huge chances working with this drive in its current condition. Data recovery labs make a bit stream clone of the drive before they attempt recovery. Any mistakes you make at this point if not already could render the drive totally un-recoverable. The drive is having problems for sure based on your information and sometimes the software tools can't get around hardware problems like you seem to be experiencing. DIY has risks and if the data is important you may want to consider pro recovery these 1TB drives are not kids play they are complicated drives to deal with. With all that said I would try to get a image of the drive made first You will need another 1TB drive to image to and it has to have the same number of LBA's as the current one does its printed on the label on most of them or get the same brand a larger drive is always preferred. If you are lucky enough to get an image then you have got the hardware issues out of the way. R-Studio trial can make the image as well. Then try using R-Studio to scan the image copy of the drive. They also has a new tool File Undelete File Recovery Software for Windows OS.

#5 · (Edited)
Test disk has a wiki and a step
By step tutorial I am on my phone posting and don't have the link to post . also have you tried r-studio or recuva. To scan and recover the data test disk can be complicated to use and is not a particularly easy tool to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.