Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Temp Profile After Crash

This is a discussion on Temp Profile After Crash within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. New here not sure if this is the right place to put this, I hope it is. An older laptop*

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

New here not sure if this is the right place to put this, I hope it is.

An older laptop* running win 7 with known hard drive problems**. Was watching videos on youtube and extracting a file when the screen went totally black. The sound of the video continued to play and I could still see the mouse cursor & the taskbar, but no commands worked and I couldn't even move the cursor.

Force shutdown, followed by reboot that takes longer than usual. Attempt to login took longer than usual before being put into a temporary profile. Repeated attempts yielded the same results.

*Lenovo thinkpad t520

**The hard drive was previously found to have a loose connection, causing random errors and slowdowns especially when moving. This was remedied by re securing the connection, and placing a folded piece of paper towel between the drive and the casing to prevent wobbling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Yes, if you've restarted the pc multiple times, then most likely there is a profile corruption.

Do not copy/over write the files or mess with your profile.

Open Registry as Admin, navigate to this key:

Code:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
Once here, there will be 2 identical names, one with a .bak at the end, rename the one without the .bak as .new and remove the .bak from the other one, save and restart the PC.

Once it's back up, backup all your important stuff from your profile immediately, run a hard drive test using the manufacturer's disk diag utility.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BSOD help Windows 7 64 bit
Over the last months I have had different BSOD's. I have little time have not been really been able to post information, but today I have some time finally (plus getting tired of it). Could you help me out identifying what the driver, hardware, problem is? Thanks so much in advance! ...
HardTrance9 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 24 02-18-2014 06:01 PM
[SOLVED] Defender won't Turn On
Description of the problem: All files downloaded from the internet as marked as a virus and immediately deleted. Action center cannot enable Windows firewall or defender. I can't reinstall/uninstall any AV. I believe the computer is infected. Attach.txt . ==== Installed Programs...
Solidify Resolved HJT Threads 6 08-09-2013 08:02 AM
Blue screen and slowdowns.
My laptop just crashes randomly when I'm using it. It's frustrating, and it costs me a lot of time. When it's booting my keyboard becomes unresponsive so I have to wait for the countdown to run out (can't just hit enter into boot normally). Sorry for requesting help as this is my first post, but...
zRebellion BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 0 06-05-2012 10:15 PM
[Win7] BSOD - Hal.sys and ntkrnlpa.exe
This has been driving me nuts the past couple weeks and is really starting to become absurd. So they started a few weeks back. Had been running fine for a year until recently. Only changed that have been made is reinstalled windows 7 for a clean start to the year. Here's the dump I got from...
mrgrim333 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 6 02-08-2012 10:39 PM