Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

technique to get connector back on SATA drive?

This is a discussion on technique to get connector back on SATA drive? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Moving my PC into a new case today and I got careless and jerked the plastic connector housing off the

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
GIGO

Moving my PC into a new case today and I got careless and jerked the plastic connector housing off the back of my WD 2TB SATA hard drive. All those pins... how on earth to get this connector housing back on? Otherwise the HD is fine and is my system drive so I'd really like to get it back together. Anyone have any tricks to get the housing back on? I always have some pins that just aren't lined up right and start to bend. Arrrrgghhh! Would it help to pull the circuit card off the drive? Or would that likely cause more damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
GIGO

OK, mine HD circuit card is toast. I pulled it off the HD and kept trying but I finally broke a couple of the pins. I then tried a circuit card off another similar WD 2TB drive and it didn't boot.

So is there anyway to get a replacement circuit card? I really hate to have to get a new HD and re-install everything.

Card is marked: Topsearch 94v-0
TS-M-8v02c SG
E96016 18573

Also has a label
2061-771698-802 07p XC BEA1 37UM 9 0003190 1193

Hd is WD20EARS, 2 TB green, 64MD cache
Old 10-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
GIGO

Well, I found a PCB on eBay.... hope it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

If there is an 8-pin serial flash memory chip at U12, then you will need to transfer it, or its contents, to your replacement PCB. This chip stores unique, drive specific information.

The following suppliers include a free firmware transfer service.

Hard Drive PCB - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 7200.9 7200.8 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus | PCB Solution
hard drive donor circuit board, data recovery
Old 10-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
GIGO

I read abut the ROM issue but it seemed a little ambiguous. The supplier I bought from implied that if you got the right PCB the need to transfer ROM would be minimized. I ordered the exact same part # and rev PCB for my exact same hard drive model so I am hoping not to have to do this.
What is in the ROM beaides head and sector configuration anyway? Why wouldn't it work?

If it doesn't work I might have to send it back to them for transfer the ROM. Not sure I trust myself doing the heat gun soldering of something so delicate. But my problem is that the connector is off the drive so they would probably have to transfer the chip instead of downlaod and transfer... unless they have an alternate way to connect up to bare pins.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

The ROM has "adaptive" modules.

Analyis of the "ROM" on a Western Digital ROYL HDD:
The HDD Oracle. • View topic - Analyis of the "ROM" on a Western Digital ROYL HDD

Who is your PCB supplier? I would avoid them in future.

As for transferring the chip contents, one way to do it on a dead PCB is to use an IC clip and device programmer:

The HDD Oracle. • View topic - SOIC 8 Clip :
Old 10-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
GIGO

The outfit I bought mine from offers free adaptation service. Their description said I would probably need to swap the ROM or adapt but it also said there was a chance it would work if the model # and rev matched. Maybe that is wishful thinking? Anyway, this is the one I got:

Western Digital 2TB WD20EARS 00MVWB0 2061 771698 802 07P SATA 3 5" PCB | eBay
Old 10-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
GIGO

I have a hobby heat gun so decided to give it a try to unsolder the old ROM chip. I made a nozzle out of aluminum foil to make the air jet smaller... the heat gun was made for heating model airplane wing coverings hence the wide nozzle. Heated it for about 10 seconds with tweezers gripping the chip and it came right off. If the new PCB doesn't work as it comes I think I will be able to reverse this process and install the old ROM chip on the new PCB.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Rather than try to remove and replace the ROM chip without the right tools, cut the ends off an SATA data cable and an SATA power adapter cable, then solder them to the correct pins sticking out of the broken connector (make sure to insulate them after so they don't flex and touch each other). You're much more likely to get the data off your drive that way, because if you screw up the original ROM chip your data is gone without sending the drive to a professional recovery service.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
GIGO

Thanks for the tip and if this HD had any important data I'd give that a try. Mostly just the OS and a couple of applications.

Turns out I ordered the wrong PCB... there was another number embossed on the board that I hadn't seen. So I'll need to send it back when it comes and get the correct one. In the meantime I got a new SSD and did a clean install of Windows.. and 150 updates so far and more to come, including SP1. But the PC is back in service for my 24/7 video surveillance software/ip cams and as a MediaCenter DVR.

I'll try the ROM swap myself when (if) I get the correct PCB and if it doesn't work, no big loss. Or I just might get another new storage HD since they are pretty cheap these days...and trash the old one.
Closed Thread