Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

System unable to Boot and Hard Disk appears to be inaccessable.

This is a discussion on System unable to Boot and Hard Disk appears to be inaccessable. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Was hoping somebody would be able to offer some suggestions with regard to a system i'm trying to repair for

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 02:54 PM   #1

Was hoping somebody would be able to offer some suggestions with regard to a system i'm trying to repair for a friend. The problem we are having is this: We noticed that the system was unable to boot, returning an "unmountable boot volume error". We followed all the normal procedures i.e started the recovery console from an xp cd, tried to run chkdsk, etc all of which failed because, (according to the system!) no hard disk was attached. Knowing that this isn't true, we tried switching out the hard disk with one we knew to be working from another system, this also would not work. Next we tried changing the ide cable in case the one attached was faulty - no luck with this either. BIOS settings all seem to be fine (BIOS is also showing the hard disk as being present). We've basically run out of ideas at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
TSF Security Team, Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to MicroBell Send a message via MSN to MicroBell
When you booted to the XP recovery console did you run fixboot and fixmbr? The boot sector on the HD could be corrupt. Are the bios settings set to 'AUTO' for detecting the HD's?
Old 09-29-2004, 10:02 PM   #3

If he Motherboard has a battery, it will also have a jumper for clearing the CMOS. This should be your next step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2004, 01:59 PM   #4

Thank you both for your suggestions, no luck so far though! I can't successfully run any of the recovery console commands because C is listed as an invalid drive. I was able to reset cmos, unfortunatly however this had no effect. If anyone has any other ideas i'd really REALLY appreciate the help though, its quite importaint that this is fixed!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:22 PM   #5

okay.. a couple quick questions: 1 - can u get into a command interface? 2 - does it matter if u lose the data on the HD itself?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:26 PM   #6

one other question.. had u done anything unusual prior to the HD problem? (ex. opened the case, move any internal components)
Old 09-30-2004, 05:16 PM   #7

I take it there are 2 ide cables att. to the motherboard. One to the hard drive, the other to the cdrom. Perhaps IDE channel 1 has a problem, if so moving the hard drive to the same cable with the cdrom may help at least to tell us something. You will need to move the cdrom to the mid-cable connector and the hard drive to the end connector.using IDE2 on the M.B. Enter BIOs again and see if you can disable channel 1 I don't knowif bios will let you do that or not. You might try this config on ch 1. Regardless to do this you will need to jumper the hard drive as master and the cdrom as slave, if that doesn't work you may try with both jumpered as cable select. also when you look at these in bios, see if they are detected correctly.
Closed Thread