Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Suggestions for Hard Disk upgrade

This is a discussion on Suggestions for Hard Disk upgrade within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I am upgrading my Dell Precision 530MT workstation. I've already doubled the memory size, from 2 -4 GB (by

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 04:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I am upgrading my Dell Precision 530MT workstation. I've already doubled the memory size, from 2 -4 GB (by installing memory risers), upgraded both CPU's from 2.2GHz xeon's 512KB, to 3GHz 4.5MB. I haven't noticed any difference on the slow performance.

I know very little about Hard Disks, so I thought I'd ask here

My hard Disk is: Maxtor 6Y120L0 ATA Device (123GB) .. is this a good hard Disk? Is there something else that I could get that would significantly improve the speed of my computer?

Any input would be appreciated.

Jad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 AM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

This?

Another hard disk will give you more storage capacity (that is if you can find one which is compatible), but unless your current drive is nearly full, I doubt it will improve performance. Bottom line, you will still be sitting on decade old plus tech.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
Enthusiast

My System

As gcavan has rightly pointed out the tech in your system is pretty old and will be contributing to the slowness. As for the hard drive you probably have loads of junk on it you don't need so getting rid it could help.

how often do you defrag the hard drive and clean temporary files? doing this stuff can also help performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Registered Member

Appreciate the quick replies. Yes, it's a pretty old thing, perhaps I should have invested on a complete new machine, instead of upgrading.

@gcavan: I still have plenty of space on my Hard Drive ... space has never really been the issue :)

@greenbrucelee: Yep, I do defragment & clean temporary files, etc ...

I guess the bottom line is that I've done all the upgrading that this machine can take. Thanks again for your replies.

Jad
Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
Registered Member

The reason for my post was the result of reading that the size, but most importantly the SPEED, of a hard drive can affect the overall speed of a computer quite substantially. And I was wondering if someone can tell if my Hard Drive is a slow one and perhaps recommend another ATA drive that would be faster.

Jad
Old 09-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

there are faster types of hard drives out there but as far as I can tell ATA-133 is the fastest you can use. Your drive is supposed to do 133 MB per second althoug full transfer speed is rarely achieved. There are you hard drives these days that do 6 gigabits per second.

Like said above your system is pretty outdated so you shouldn't be expecting anything great from it.
Closed Thread