Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strange issue with HD that's probably failing

712 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  darksteel88 
#1 ·
So I have an internal HDD that's connected externally via USB. All is well, until it starts making that clicking sound that usually indicates it's starting to fail. I back up the drive and it seems to keep working until it just abruptly stops. My OS fails to recognize it most of the time. I would have tested it at this point with CrystalDiskInfo but of course, it won't recognize.

I find an eSata connector and use that to test it, and suddenly it's working perfectly fine. I check in CrystalDiskInfo and it shows the drive is in good condition. I checked the external case and it all seems fine to me, I can't find any faults in it.

Is there maybe something else going on that I'm not aware of? Are there other ways I can check it?

#2 ·
This is one of the inherent issues with and external HDD enclosure that we see all to often....the USB connection goes bad for what ever reason. Most of the time those enclosures have only one connection port. Then we suggest removing the HDD from the enclosure and connecting the HDD internally to verify HDD integrity....99% of the time the HDD is perfectly fine. So we must assume that either the enclosure port is bad or the enclosure itself is bad.

With the clicking sound, that's a tail tail sign of a HDD going bad if it's loud and not the standard clicking noise that a HDD makes when being accessed. In any case, back up the drive using your eSATA port, at least this way you'll have a copy saved. Then keep using it until it does fail or just simply replace it now.

#3 ·
I have seen or heard the clicking sound when an External HDD was not getting enough power. If the enclosure has it's own power adapter, plug it into the wall directly and not through a power strip or extension cord as this diminishes the power.
other then that, just use the eSATA connection as the USB connection is failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.