Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  sucosam 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am posting this in the hardware forum so I hope this is correct. Here is the situation and the history, and I apologize in advance, but more information is usually best right?

The laptop is an Acer Aspire 7551G-5755. It is just over a year old. A month or so ago I had installed Norton 360 in place of McAfee. It had been working alright and then a couple of days ago (Feb 18) I noticed that upon bootup Windows was saying that there was an issue and that system had to be repaired. I tried simply rebooting but kept getting same message. So I went ahead and went through the repair process, however it didn't complete. It did however allow me to use system restore to go back to Feb 13. After doing this I was able to reboot, load into windows, and operate as normal. Within the next day or so, upon boot up, I now get a message that reads as follows (I will put the entirety here):

Windows Boot Manager

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

After doing some digging online, I have tried the following steps without success:

- removed and reseated hard drive and ram
- attempted to access safe mode

I don't believe that this laptop came with an installation disc so I am in the process of trying to find one, or create one using another laptop.

With this information can anyone advise whether they believe the information on the hard drive is lost, or has history shown this to be just data corruption on a few select files? I am grateful for any advice provided.

Regards,

sucosam

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I just re-read my message and realized I didn't include the fact that it's running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I also did create a 64-bit repair disc (on DVD) for Windows 7. I got into the Boot setup and put CD as the first option. I am in the process now so will update when / if complete

#3 ·
A follow up. I have been researching the issue and found a link which offered some suggestions to run a hardware diagnostics by burning an iso image to a bootable CD (link shown below). I tried this but the CD will not boot. I keep getting a message

Cannot load the file A:\COMMAND.COM
Insert correct disk and Strike any key

I have the iso file shown below and it is the right file based on the hard drive in my laptop. It is a WD5000BEVT. I am simply trying to identify if this is an indication that the hard drive is defective and needs replacing, or if a system restore from factory settings will resolve. I would like to preserve the data on the drive, but realize this may not be possible.

Download the Diag504fCD.iso file on this page: WD Support / Downloads / Legacy Internal / WD Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.