Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD won't show up in BIOS

This is a discussion on SSD won't show up in BIOS within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. I have an Asus R416SA laptop ( https://www.asus.com/supportonly/R41...Desk_Download/ ) on which there is zero information on the internet.

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there.

I have an Asus R416SA laptop (https://www.asus.com/supportonly/R41...Desk_Download/) on which there is zero information on the internet.
It was working super slow, so I decided to format the SSD (https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...BZdRvXBRHB8w==) and have a clean Windows 10 installation.

After formatting the SSD, wh.en selecting the hard drive, windows shows an error: https://www.partitionwizard.com/part...k.html#error-4

Alright. I go into BIOS but under BOOT, the SSD doesn't show up. I can only see my bootable Windows USB which is set to Boot Priority #1 .
If the SSD is disabled, I can't enable the drive because the bios is SO bare bones that I can't Change SATA Controller Mode as there is no option like that in the BIOS. Resetting the BIOS to default of optimised settings also didn't make the SSD appear.

I created a portable windows installation on an USB and booting windows through the USB, I can see the SSD in Windows. I can copy to it and open whatever I have copied on it.
I thought it might be a firmware problem.. Downloaded new and old SanDisk SSD tools and the SSD Dashboard but those didn't recognize the SSD.

At this point I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas what could I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Here are photos of BIOS to get a better understanding: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sRwWn9qy3oHW9A6n1
Old 02-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Game Team Tech

SSD won't show up as you don't have one!!

your laptop or notepad has a on-board eMMC Flash Drive.

reboot then try the following.

F8
diskpart
list disk
select disk N
clean
exit

Old 02-10-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Your laptop's specs can be found here. The website is japanese, but you can use a webpage translator on it. I believe you have the user manual at hand, you can refer to it in configuring the BIOS.

From the shots you linked, I noticed CSM launch is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled, perhaps to be able to boot from the usb flash drive you created. I suggest to revert BIOS to factory default settings. If you've set any passwords under Security, remove them, and unlock any interfaces that you've locked under I/O Interface Security, then save the settings.

Next, you need to create an UEFI bootable Windows 10 (64-bit) usb flash disk and boot from it. When the Windows 10 setup language selection screen loads, select your language of choice, keyboard layout and regional formats as desired and click next. Press Shift+F10 and Command Prompt will open. Type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISKPART

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK
#

where # is the disk number of the 64GB eMMC storage. Usually, this would be number 0, e.g SELECT DISK 0

CLEAN

EXIT

EXIT

You run EXIT twice to first quit DiskPart and secondly to close Command Prompt. You can then begin the Windows 10 installation. At the disk selection screen where you saw that error, you should see the eMMC storage with ALL of its space being unallocated. Select it and Windows setup will take care of the rest.

Note: for a usb flash disk to be UEFI bootable, it MUST be formatted as FAT32 and set to Active and it doesn't have to be a GPT disk. This can be quite confusing. GPT is a requirement for the target installation disk (64GB eMMC in your case), but not for the source installation media (usb flash disk).
Old 02-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Registered Member

The issue is finally solved.
A friend who is a technician solved by reinstalling the BIOS and having the proper OEM Windows installation available. It seems, I was hopeless to fix it on my own.

Thank you for the help!
Closed Thread