Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD upgrade - something went wrong

This is a discussion on SSD upgrade - something went wrong within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am trying to upgrade a HDD to SSD on my HP laptop - model 15-f018DX. Purchased 1Tb Samsung 860EVO

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By spunk.funk
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am trying to upgrade a HDD to SSD on my HP laptop - model 15-f018DX. Purchased 1Tb Samsung 860EVO (model MZ-76E1TO) and the SATA to USB cable. The current hard drive is 750Gb. OS is Win 8.1

• Used EaseUS Todo to clone my current hard drive. Checked optimize for SSD and Sector by sector clone
  • This resulted in Partition F: (clone of my C: drive), 230-something Gb Unallocated space and Partition A: (clone of my D: drive -- Recovery) on the SSD drive
  • Used EaseUS Partition Master to move the Recovery partition to the end of the SSD drive.
  • Also used Partition Master to create a G: partition of the unallocated space.
  • Then, used Partition Master to merge F: and G: partitions--which I thought/hoped would mean that I would be able to use all the space on the new drive as 1 partition (except for Recovery partition).
  • Disassembled laptop, removed HDD and replaced with SSD drive.
Upon bootup, I got error: Your PC needs to be repaired, Error 0xc0000225.

Press ENTER to try again.

Press F8 for Startup Settings
Press ESC for UEFI Firmware Settings.

ENTER caused screen to blank for a moment and error message to reappear.

F8 did nothing. ESC did nothing.

Removed SSD drive. Reinstalled HDD, and laptop boots without issue. (Actually, seems to boot faster than before, and everything running faster/smoother--which makes no sense to me.)

I suspect that moving/merging partitions is what caused my problem. But perhaps, I needed to change something in the BIOS?

I have only a little tiny bit of knowledge on how to do this, so will be grateful for as many specifics as possible.

Thank you!
Elaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 01:44 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Start again,l When you clone a HDD, Clone the Whole disk, all the hidden partitions as well as the main Windows partition. Do not swap any partitions around or delete anything on the new SSD. Now put the SSD in where the old HDD was and boot the computer. It should be a mirror copy so it should boot perfectly.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you. I will do that. But how do I utilize all the space on the new drive which is larger than the old one? An exact copy, prior to moving partitions, had 231 Gb of unallocated space. Do I have to make that a separate partition once I get the pc to boot from the new drive? Any way to make it part of the main partition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith591 View Post
Thank you. I will do that. But how do I utilize all the space on the new drive which is larger than the old one? An exact copy, prior to moving partitions, had 231 Gb of unallocated space. Do I have to make that a separate partition once I get the pc to boot from the new drive? Any way to make it part of the main partition?
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it. First, do a 1:1 clone as directed and get Windows booting from the SSD. I strongly advice against doing a sector by sector copy, uncheck that option, but leave the optimize for SSD option enabled.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you. I will do that and report back in several hours. :-)
Old 04-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Success! Had one false start when I attempted to reclone (an error message about being unable to read a sector). I tried again, and it successfully completed. Swapped out the HDD for the SSD, and the laptop booted right up.

Very grateful to be back in business! Remaining question: Can you suggest any steps to allow me to use the total space on the SSD? Current picture when I run diskmgmt.msc is:

650 MB - Healthy (Recovery Partition)
260 MB - Healthy (EFI System Partition)
676.58 GB NTFS - Windows C: Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
21.04 GB NTFS - Recover D: Healthy (Primary Partition)
232.88 GB - Unallocated

Is there any way to get that 232.88 GB added to the C: partition, or will I have to partition it as a separate drive letter?

FYI, reminder--I have EaseUS Partition Master, if needed.

Thank you!!
Old 04-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

please attach a screenshot of Easeus or Disk Management with the drive showing.
If you did it correctly, Easeus should have recognized you had a larger drive and should have made adjustments to fill the rest of the drive out with no Unallocated Space.
esmith591 likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:02 AM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Success! Had one false start when I attempted to reclone (an error message about being unable to read a sector). I tried again, and it successfully completed. Swapped out the HDD for the SSD, and the laptop booted right up.

Very grateful to be back in business! Remaining question: Can you suggest any steps to allow me to use the total space on the SSD? Current picture when I run diskmgmt.msc is:

650 MB - Healthy (Recovery Partition)
260 MB - Healthy (EFI System Partition)
676.58 GB NTFS - Windows C: Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
21.04 GB NTFS - Recover D: Healthy (Primary Partition)
232.88 GB - Unallocated

Is there any way to get that 232.88 GB added to the C: partition, or will I have to partition it as a separate drive letter?

FYI, reminder--I have EaseUS Partition Master, if needed.

Thank you!!
Using EASEUS Partition Master, drag/move partition D (Recovery) to the farthest end of the drive. This will place the unallocated space between drive C (Windows) and drive D. Apply the changes, reboot If prompted to do so. With the unallocated space now immediately adjacent to drive C, you can resize drive C in Partition Master by dragging its left boundary until it takes up all of the unallocated space. Apply the changes and reboot IF required.
esmith591 likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Using EASEUS Partition Master, drag/move partition D (Recovery) to the farthest end of the drive. This will place the unallocated space between drive C (Windows) and drive D. Apply the changes, reboot If prompted to do so. With the unallocated space now immediately adjacent to drive C, you can resize drive C in Partition Master by dragging its left boundary until it takes up all of the unallocated space. Apply the changes and reboot IF required.

Thank you! That appears to have been successful. I am grateful for the help! And a little reassured to know that I had originally done the right steps, but should have done them separately, one at a time. I am putting up a sign in my office: Thou Shalt Not Be Impatient!

So generous of you all to share your expertise with bumblers like me. Many thanks!!!!
Old 04-05-2019, 04:12 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Thank you! That appears to have been successful. I am grateful for the help! And a little reassured to know that I had originally done the right steps, but should have done them separately, one at a time. I am putting up a sign in my office: Thou Shalt Not Be Impatient!

So generous of you all to share your expertise with bumblers like me. Many thanks!!!!
You are most welcome. I'm glad we could help.
esmith591 likes this.
Closed Thread