Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD upgrade advice for a desktop system

This is a discussion on SSD upgrade advice for a desktop system within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, I have a desktop computer that is about seven years old (yes, it's still running fine as of

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hi everyone,

I have a desktop computer that is about seven years old (yes, it's still running fine as of now) and it has these following specifications:

- ASUS M2A-VM motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU (codename "Windsor") at 2.2GHz
- 6GB DDR2 PC2-5300 memory
- Integrated ATI Radeon X1250 graphics

In addition, I have a few SATA devices hooked up to my desktop and they consist of the following:

SATA 1: Western Digital 250GB Hard Drive (split into two partitions, one is for the OS and programs, the other is for general files, etc.)
SATA 2: Western Digital 500GB Hard Drive (consist of one partition and the contents that are stored in that drive are pictures, music files, documents, etc.)
SATA 3: Lite-ON Dual-Layer DVD burner
SATA 4: Seagate 3TB Hard Drive (consists of video files, etc.)

The operating system that I'm running right now is Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 edition.

I'm planning to replace my 250GB Western Digital hard drive (that is currently used for storing the OS and programs on one partition) into a Solid State Drive for my desktop system. The reason of that is that I wanted to speed up my booting/shutdown times.

Right now, it takes 2 minutes to boot up and about 30 seconds to shutdown my system. By planning on moving towards an SSD solely for my OS, I can relegate either my 500GB hard drive or my 3TB hard drive to store programs, documents, etc.

As for the fate of my 250GB Hard Drive (which I had for almost 6 to 7 years), I was thinking on either phasing the drive out or have it re-purposed for other uses.

If I were to install an SSD drive for my system, is there a way to mount an SSD drive inside? I heard that there are a few ones out there. Most of them include some fans for cooling.

After I had installed my SSD drive for my system, what are the steps that I should do in order for me to take full advantage of my SSD drive and to "reconfigure" where to install my programs, store documents and other stuff?

In preparation of doing a major clean install later this Spring (or early summer), I'm starting to delete some unnecessary files off my desktop and then deep clean all of the free space (initially) off those SATA hard drives.

If upgrading an SSD drive is not possible, what are my other options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

How To Migrate Windows 7 to a Solid State Drive

Best SSDs For The Money: February 2014
Old 03-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Adaptors are readily available

Newegg.com - 2 5 to 3 5 hard drive bracket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Emeritus

2 minutes to boot would suggest a problem that can probably be remedied with a little effort and time.
Looking at all the apps that are set to run on boot, that do not need to be, is a good place to start to decrease boot times.

Closed Thread