Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD Upgrade

This is a discussion on SSD Upgrade within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It's been a while since I've built a machine. My current one is good but I want to upgrade to

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

It's been a while since I've built a machine. My current one is good but I want to upgrade to an SSD. Can someone help me with the easiest steps? I want to clone my existing HD? I'm not sure where to start without having to reinstall EVERYTHING..... Windows 10. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

First off, how large is the Used capacity on your current C: drive?
Next, what is your budget?
These two questions will guide your SSD purchase. If your current used space on the C: drive is under 500 GB or even under 256GB then you can get an SSD of that size. If your current C: drive is much larger and money is no object, then you can get an SSD up to 4TB. Or something more modestly priced at 1TB. You can also get a smaller SSD drive if you move your User Files to a different drive before you clone the C: drive
Once you get your new SSD. place it in the computer and your current C: drive, many SSD drives come with a free version of Acronis cloning software or download Macrium Reflect or any other Cloning program. After installing the software choose to make bootable USB Recovery Flash Drive from the cloning program.
Boot off of the Flash Drive and choose to clone your current C: drive on the mechanical drive (the source drive) to the SSD (the Target or Destination drive) After it's complete, make sure the SSD is the First Boot Device in the Bios and it should boot from it. Once everything is working great and you feel comfortable, you can Format the mechanical HDD and use it for Data Backups. You can also, boot off of the clone program USB Drive and choose to make an Image file of your current setup and save it to the mechanical drive as a clone backup in case of a disaster.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have a 1TS HD currently and intend on installing a 1TB SSD. I'm only using about about 1/3 of its capacity. I would like to boot off the SSD as well as use it for primary storage. The HD will be for back up storage, pictures music etc.

I'd like to keep the cost around $100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	323174  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldbak View Post
I have a 1TS HD currently and intend on installing a 1TB SSD. I'm only using about about 1/3 of its capacity. I would like to boot off the SSD as well as use it for primary storage. The HD will be for back up storage, pictures music etc.

I'd like to keep the cost around $100.
$100 is cutting it quite close for a 1TB SSD. You might get some lesser-known brands at close to that price, but reliability and after-sale support is a major concern. If you could squeeze in some more $$, say $20, you can get proven brands like WD and SanDisk. Here's a listing on Amazon for possible options.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As stated, SSD's have come down in price, but you will be hard pressed to find a name brand 1TB SSD for that price. Plan on spending at least $120 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1tb+ssd+i...nb_sb_ss_i_1_8
If you are only using 1/3 of your current 1TB HDD then consider getting a 512GB SSD and keep your User files on the secondary Mechanical drive.