Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD Types

This is a discussion on SSD Types within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am considering adding an SSD to my existing system. Windows 10, at times, really thrashes the mechanical drive I

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

I am considering adding an SSD to my existing system. Windows 10, at times, really thrashes the mechanical drive I have now.

Here's my problem. My board manual specifies, "M.2 Socket 3, 2242, 2260, 2280." There are three connector types, "B," "M," and "B & M." Using a little mirror and a flashlight, I determined my socket is M type, notched on the right side bot not on the left.

I did some searching on various sites for this particular type of SSD. They are rare. The vast majority of what I found listed are "B & M." Notched on both sides. This type would not use all the contacts in the socket.

Question: Can I put a "B & M" in this socket and have it work, or must I strictly stay with "M" only?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

M-keyed M.2 SSDs are the most common ones now, and the fastest. They are called NVMe PCIe x4 M.2 SSD and they are what you should be looking for because they use PCIe x4 while B and B-M SSDs are limited to PCIe x2 only. B+M connectors are mostly found on M.2 SATA SSDs for compatibility with M sockets, but those are greatly limited by the SATA link (6Gb/s). Your motherboard has two M.2 socket 3 sockets with M key. Only one of the sockets (labelled M2_1) supports SATA SSDs. Both sockets support NVME PCIE X4 SSDs, and those are what you should be looking for. Going with SATA is an injustice to that system!
Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Since your MOBO is an Asus, this should be of interest: https://rog.asus.com/articles/maximu...ich-is-which/#

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Thank you for your replies!

I found this guy. I think this is what one of you wrote about. I don't need anything huge, capacity-wise. I could leave the "spinner" in there for extra space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssd.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	323972  
Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post

I found this guy. I think this is what one of you wrote about. I don't need anything huge, capacity-wise. I could leave the "spinner" in there for extra space.
Yeah, that's one of the best.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Tom's Hardware > Best SSDs 2019: From Budget SATA to Blazing NVMe
Old 07-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post

I use a Mushkin PILOT 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Gen3 x4-3D TLC - (MKNSSDPL1TB-D8) for 112.00. It works great..., so far. Speed to spend!
Closed Thread