Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSD + Two HDDs as RAID 1

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  loda117 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have an external HDD enclosure that holds two HDDs. These HDDs are set to RAID 1 using the on-board controller of the enclosure. But, the enclosure runs really hot, so I want to move these HDDs to my desktop (which has better cooling).

Here are some facts:
- I am running Win 7 Prof. x64
- I have a SSD as my boot drive.

Here is the question:
Can I take those two drives and put them into the desktop as RAID 1 again?
But I want to keep the SSD as the boot drive, and I can't format the HDDs.

If yes, how I can do this?

Thanks in advance,
V

#2 ·
that depends if your motherboard has onboard raid 1 controller or raid controller
Since you are moving the drives I would recommend that the best way to do this would be to copy all the files off the raid drives and re create another raid once the drives are in the desktop
Then change the Boot pirority in BIOS to boot the first device from SSD and you should be good

#5 ·
But each Raid controller has its own paramters you normally can't just move drives from a raid setup on one controller to another unless they were the exact same model of raid controller. Make a good backup then move the drives which you more than likely will have to setup the RAID1 on the motherboard controller it will make you initialize the drives thus wiping the data off them once setup you can restore the data to the new RAID1 set

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.