Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD only recognized IF I disconnect then reconnect it from the MB after shutting down

This is a discussion on SSD only recognized IF I disconnect then reconnect it from the MB after shutting down within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My current system: Windows 7 MB: Asus P5Q SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 40GB Power: 650W Hello everyone! I recently

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

My current system:
Windows 7
MB: Asus P5Q
SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 40GB
Power: 650W

Hello everyone! I recently purchased the Mushkin SSD, formatted my computer and connected it to my system. After multiple attempts I was able to get the BIOS to recognize the drive and I installed Windows and my bootable system onto the SSD. However now whenever I shut down the computer for the night, in the morning on boot it is unable to find the bootable drive (the SSD).

I updated all the ASUS P5Q firmware and it still is unable to recognize the SSD on boot.

However, I am able to without fail so far open up the case and disconnect, then reconnect the SSD from the MB and it will be recognized on the next boot (and then work fine until I turn it off again.)

Am I making some silly mistake? Thank you for all your help!

Edit: I also updated the SSD firmware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Did you try a new sata cable ? Almost sounds like the SSD is not compatible with your MOBO

Tools: Memtest IMGBurn SeaTools DOS WD Lifeguard R-Studio GetBackData Easeus Free Clone Software DRDD Partition Find and Mount
Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

I tried two different SATA cables. Both of them worked intermittently. Again only detecting (and booting) after I disconnected and reconnected from the MOBO. These cables worked fine with the conventional HDD....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Registered Member

OS: Win Vista, 7, and various Linux distro's - all 64 bit.

My System

Hi,

Would you be able to provide some more info about your system? I'd like to know about make/model of the PSU, other drives connected, which SATA ports you have them on, and if you're in IDE/AHCI/RAID mode.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tweak
Old 01-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd-tweak View Post
Hi,

Would you be able to provide some more info about your system? I'd like to know about make/model of the PSU, other drives connected, which SATA ports you have them on, and if you're in IDE/AHCI/RAID mode.

Thank you.

Regards,

Tweak

1. CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

2. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

3. The SSD is connected to SATA 1

4. The WD HDD is connected to SATA 2

The drives are set to IDE, however I have attempted AHCI with the same results so I switched back.

Also I get the same results with the WD HDD connected or disconnected.

Thanks everyone for all your time!!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

OS: Win Vista, 7, and various Linux distro's - all 64 bit.

My System

Thanks.

This implies no errors on your end. A bit far fetched, but have you checked the BIOS battery? Do you lose settings in BIOS if you yank out the power for few seconds?

I think I would initiate an RMA process with Mushkin at this point. I will come back to you if there is something else for you to try.
Closed Thread