Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD in Dell Laptop and External Backup HDD

This is a discussion on SSD in Dell Laptop and External Backup HDD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dell 5558 Win 8 , 16 GB RAM, laptop, 1TB HDD. I am considering replacing the 1TB HDD with a

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Dell 5558 Win 8 , 16 GB RAM, laptop, 1TB HDD. I am considering replacing the 1TB HDD with a 500 GB SSD and using the HDD in an external enclosure as a backup drive.

I want to clone all of the partitions from the original HDD to the SDD, is there a problem with the different drive sizes?

Is there backup method/software allows complete image of the SDD to be made incrementally, so that in the event of a failure I could just replace the SSD with the HDD backup drive until a replacement SSD system drive is installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can use Macrium Reflect Free version. As long as the used space on the 1TB drive is under 500GB it should work. It will take much longer because the software has to compress to fit it in the smaller drive.
You would not do an incremental backup, but do a Disk to Disk Clone. Once you install Macrium, you would make a bootable USB Flash drive of the App, and boot off of that with both drives attached, then clone Disk to Disk. Once complete, replace the HDD with the SSD.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External HDD Crashes Dell 5558
Dell Inspiron Laptop 5558, i7, 6GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, 8.1 When a an external 3.5 " SATA drive is connected using a usb adapter , it crashes the system with Kernal Power error 41. The crash happens as soon as ac power cord is plugged in, with the USB connector installed in the laptop and the...
edge10 Windows 8, 8.1 Support 4 06-16-2017 11:22 AM
External HDD not recognize my laptop & cann't initialize it from Device manegment & c
Hello, I've a External HDD( Western Digital company-500GB) which was working properly last night but today it's not working. when I connect the External HDD to my laptop usb port then it's got power but not shows in my computer. when I go to device management it shows a window (you need to...
Rajib Sarker Hard Drive Support 1 01-31-2015 01:02 PM
Your view on backup with external hard drive vs. internal HDD in an enclosure?
Your view on backup with external hard drive vs. internal HDD in an enclosure? I have been looking for a 2TB portable external hard drive with USB 3.0 or equivalent. I'm now thinking seriously about getting a WD My Passport. I'm hearing on other threads that external drives are not built for...
conceptualclari Hard Drive Support 3 09-30-2013 03:32 PM
Laptop want's to format external HDD
Hi! I have a laptop running with Windows 7 (sp 1) and an external HDD that is full with photos, documents that i don't want to lose. We use the external HDD with a multimedia player too. Last week my husbands laptop started to want to format the HDD when he connects it, my laptop too. The HDD...
kelemenorsi Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 11 01-24-2012 06:06 AM
BSOD after Indoor External HDD plugged into my Laptop
BSOD after Indoor External HDD plugged into my Laptop Please help me, when I plugged an external defective HDD into my laptop I got BSOD, I know it was defective because before when I plugged it(HDD) into my laptop, it can not read it but it can read other external HDD. But when I plugged it...
TheJaiBro Hard Drive Support 0 07-17-2011 09:01 PM