Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD goes to 100% and freezes computer!

This is a discussion on SSD goes to 100% and freezes computer! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings all, After upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, my SSD goes to 100% and compelty freezes my computer.

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

Greetings all,

After upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, my SSD goes to 100% and compelty freezes my computer.

Restarting the computer after it's frozen will repeat the same problem.

This happens every 10 minutes after bootup.

Any ideas how to fix this issue?

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

Geforce GTX 760 SLI
Z87-G45 Motherboard
i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50GHz
16GB Ram
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB (SSD)
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB (SSD) (The one I am using)
WDC WD2002FAEX-00MJRA0
WDC WD5003AZEX-00K1GA0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Try a Clean Boot. If that works, you can leave it as is, or you can add one Startup Item or Service at a time, use it for 10 minutes, if it's still good, add another item or service until the computer freezes, then you will know what the problem is.
Of course the easiest way is to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 instead.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Not only is the best way to do this by clean install in many cases where the OS has been there for years it may be the only successful way to do this. I have seen over 100 attempted upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10 either fail or run really poorly, in fact I can't think of a single successful upgrade from 7. Windows 8 fared a bit better but not much among my clients and one way or another every one of them either had me eventually do a clean install or return to earlier version of Windows.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 02:35 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1231 View Post
Greetings all,

After upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10, my SSD goes to 100% and compelty freezes my computer.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

Geforce GTX 760 SLI
Z87-G45 Motherboard
i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50GHz
16GB Ram
WDC WD2002FAEX-00MJRA0
WDC WD5003AZEX-00K1GA0
Who's the manufacturer of your Z87-G45 mobo?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
Troubled

OS: 2008 Enterprise R2, Mac Mojave, Win 10, Win 7, Ubuntu, Unix, Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1231 View Post
Greetings all,

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

Geforce GTX 760 SLI
Z87-G45 Motherboard
i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50GHz
16GB Ram
WDC WD2002FAEX-00MJRA0
WDC WD5003AZEX-00K1GA0
Have you had the same problem in safe mode, although that is one of the hated issues about Win 10 and that there is no easy way to get there except from normal mode.

This would sound a touch like problems with the paging file. You could set with 16 gig of ram to do away with the paging file and then reboot and then set the paging file to the most min. number and reboot and see what happens.

You have 2 drives- which one is set for the paging file and you can set it to either one, but I would choose the larger one.

Upgrading one version of windows to another is almost always problematic. Take the time to do it correctly and do a clean install.

What does the event viewer say about any errors that may be around the time of the freeze-up?

Have yo used CCleaner to clear out unneeded files, although this sounds like a paging file or perhaps some backup going on automatically that is pointed to the wrong location or perhaps windows updates caching in win 10 that acts like it is the most important thing in the world to do- as compared to having you run your computer to do necessary work in a timely fashion.

How free space do you have on each drive?

Tom in Dallas/Plano
Old 09-18-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Try a Clean Boot. If that works, you can leave it as is, or you can add one Startup Item or Service at a time, use it for 10 minutes, if it's still good, add another item or service until the computer freezes, then you will know what the problem is.
Of course the easiest way is to do a Clean Install of Windows 10 instead.
I have tried a full clean start of Windows 7, same issue keeps happening.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Not only is the best way to do this by clean install in many cases where the OS has been there for years it may be the only successful way to do this. I have seen over 100 attempted upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10 either fail or run really poorly, in fact I can't think of a single successful upgrade from 7. Windows 8 fared a bit better but not much among my clients and one way or another every one of them either had me eventually do a clean install or return to earlier version of Windows.

I have tried a full clean start of Windows 7, and the same issue keeps happening
Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Who's the manufacturer of your Z87-G45 mobo?

MSI
Old 09-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzwineman View Post
Have you had the same problem in safe mode, although that is one of the hated issues about Win 10 and that there is no easy way to get there except from normal mode.

This would sound a touch like problems with the paging file. You could set with 16 gig of ram to do away with the paging file and then reboot and then set the paging file to the most min. number and reboot and see what happens.

You have 2 drives- which one is set for the paging file and you can set it to either one, but I would choose the larger one.

Upgrading one version of windows to another is almost always problematic. Take the time to do it correctly and do a clean install.

What does the event viewer say about any errors that may be around the time of the freeze-up?

Have yo used CCleaner to clear out unneeded files, although this sounds like a paging file or perhaps some backup going on automatically that is pointed to the wrong location or perhaps windows updates caching in win 10 that acts like it is the most important thing in the world to do- as compared to having you run your computer to do necessary work in a timely fashion.

How free space do you have on each drive?

Tom in Dallas/Plano

Safe mode does the same issue, no difference.

Setting it to 16 gig still does the same issue.

I have tried setting to my biggest drive, and the disk still goes 100% and crashes.

I am certainly sure that I have did the installation of Windows 10 correctly.

After my computer crashes, it reboots and goes to something called EFI.

CCleaner didn't help.

I have 2 drives, and 2 SSD's

WDC WD2002FAEX-00MJRA0 2TB
WDC WD5003AZEX-00K1GA0 500GB
Old 09-18-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

What does "a full clean start of Windows 7" mean?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Rich, I believe the OP means Clean Boot as I suggested that previously but they should clarify
Old 09-19-2018, 04:36 AM   #12
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I suspect so Spunk but then that is not an answer to doing a clean install I suggested,
not at all and as much as I hate to do that at times, Windows 10 can be a bear and have had a few times where nothing else would fix the issue. Look at all the time wasted procrastinating as this post was in June and could have been fixed in June while here it is September. For me this is a post to put to "ignore list" as it will never be solved by the poster.

Closed Thread