Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

SSD drive as buffer to a SATA Drive

This is a discussion on SSD drive as buffer to a SATA Drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am sure I am not saying that correctly but I hope I am, that last part of the sentence

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I am sure I am not saying that correctly but I hope I am, that last part of the sentence should imply that I am no guru :D

So I am looking to build a new PC for myself and I have been doing a bit of research and discovered a vid showing a guy opening 12 or 15 programs at once with a normal 7200rpm HD and then putting in a 32gig SSD to buffer it and the difference was something along the times that the HHD on its own took 30 secs and with the assistance of the SSD drive it took 6 secs

So, firstly I wanted to ask, is it worth setting that up if you are also considering just getting an SSD drive to load windows and other apps onto? And also, if I want both, can I just the existing SSD to do this or do I have to have a separate drive for that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

It all depends on whether you are more laid back or have to have things happen, like right now (and have the money to make it so). Modern hard drives have caches built in and are pretty fast to begin with. However, if you wish to spend the money you can speed things up.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST):

Support for the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

Corsair's accelerator SSDs:

Accelerator Series SSD Cache Drives

SanDIsk Ready Cache:

SanDisk ReadyCache Solid State Drive

And a whole bunch more, just search.

If you want to see something ridiculously fast, check out this massive SSD RAID array:

[Partner Spotlight] Samsung SSD Awesomeness - YouTube
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

yea, I dont have the money for an SSD raid config lol but I was thinking I could probably stretch to 1 decent sized one or 2 small ones. Hence my original question. Although if I had the money .... lol

So should I be looking at just getting one large SSD and using that as my boot drive or should I look at HD+SSD together? or is there a best of both I can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Both hard drives and AADs have good points and bad ones. Hard disk technology is pretty good but since they are mechanical, they will crash one day, although for the best this will be years from now. SSD's have a limited number of read-write cycles, though for the average user they will probably last quite a few years too.

That SSDs give faster boot times and faster program loading times is unarguable. However, they do this at a price. Storage capacity of SSD's currently runs about 75 cents or more per gigabyte, whereas HDDs are about 10 or less per gigabyte.

Hybrid technology attempts to take advantage of both the speed of SSDs and the cost benefits of hard disks. Whether you want to go for speed no matter the price, accept the pretty fast hard disk speed have already or use your HDD in conjunction with a SSD acting as a large cache is up to you.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yea, sorry I'm not asking my question right man, sorry about that.

I know that SSD's are faster and I get that the SATA HD's with a small integrated SSD are faster that the ones without but what I am wondering is...

Should I go and get a large SSD? or, is the difference between SATA HD with a small SSD as cache so negligible that its just down to price more than anything else?
OR :D (sorry lol)
Should I get a large SSD, split it and have 1 partition (a large one) for OS and what not and another partition (small one) for cache for the other SATA HD?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

SSD vs. HDD performance chart (from Computer World)
Intel 520 Series SSD/Western Digital WD Black HD/Seagate Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drive

First/third boot-up time
12/9 sec. 20/21 sec. 20/12 sec.

Max. read speed (4K blocks) 456MB/sec. 122MB/sec. 106MB/sec.
SSD much faster, hybrid somewhat faster
Max. write speed
241MB/sec. 119MB/sec. 114MB/sec.
SSD much faster, slightly faster
1.19GB file transfer
15 sec. 34 sec. 29 sec.
SSD much faster, hybrid slightly faster
First/third time opening a 372-page Word doc.
57/10 sec. 48/9 sec. 58/10 sec.
Windows caches disk info in RAM. If the info is cached, the second time you open something it doesn't matter what drive you use. Also, here in this real-world application the HDD was the fastest.
Opening a 10MB PowerPoint document
2 sec. 2 sec. 2 sec.
ditto

Most people here would not recommend SSDs as they are not cost efficient and in PCs give little real-world benefits over hard disks. My comp boots to the Windows 8 desktop in less than 18 seconds with a WD 640 GB SATA 6 GB/s Caviar Black and loads programs plenty fast. The only reason that I might opt for an SSD is if I were building a super quiet computer.

My Western Digital drive is SATA 3.0 and has a 64 MB cache; in the real world it's pretty fast. Don't just go by benchmark values; find a review that compares how real-world computing actions differ when assessing hardware components and software.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

Wow, thanks for all that. Much appreciated. Ok so SATA 6 GB/s loads fast enough it seems. Yea on that basis I think I'd rather just get the SATA HDD's and maybe on a later upgrade if the price of SSD drops or if I see an offer I cant refuse...

Cheers for all the help MPR
Closed Thread