Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] wireless net work not working

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  BIGBEARJEDI 
#1 ·
I have an ASUS Z3100 with XP Pro. The hard drive stopped suddenly and died. No repair disk. I replaced the HD with a WD 120 GB drive recommended by ASUS web site.(They no longer support the Z3100) Now I am trying to load the drive. I used the original XP disk with sp 2. This did nicelly. Now I am trying to load all the drivers. I have no internet connection on the notebook. I have a desktop with XP Pro. I went to ASUS website and downloaded 30 driver files on a flash drive (8GB). Now I am unable to install the drivers as I don't know one file from the other. (The files have all been extracted from the zip.) My question is can I load these drivers from the flash drive and how? Or can I connect the note book to the desktop using USB TO USB cable and download from ASUS directly?:banghead:

#2 ·
Re: wireless net work not working

Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, only devices with yellow marks need to be installed. Download the drivers for your particular laptop here. There is no chipset driver to install, so download the Lan and Wireless drivers onto your flash drive and install them, by dragging the install file over to the computers Desktop and double clicking it. Once you have internet on that computer, then return to this page on the now internet computer and download the rest of the drivers your require directly to that computer and install them.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)

This link is a Speccy snapshot of my Z3100. Your instructions, as I understood them, did not work. I need step by step clear instructions. To be clear: (1) The non working computer is the ASUS A3100, with XP Pro SP2 from the original installation disc. (2) I have access to a desk top XP Pro sp3. (3) I also, have access to a Toshiba satellite Win 7. I have downloaded the wireless and LAN drivers from the asus website. I unzipped the files and sent to my flash drive. I did this on both the Win 7 and the Win XP computer. I then double clicked each icon with little result.The installed files are: ATK0100 ACPI UTILITY: Intel(R) PROSet for Wireless 0.25 MB; REAL TEK Gigabit and Fast Ethernet NIC Driver 1.92 MB; SanDisk Button Manager.exe 61.1 MB; SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with Smart CP 0.47 MB. I tried to install autorun drivers and Asus driver Manager with no success. I got a error message of can't open ACPI ATK0100 kernel Mode Driver. I did get wireless network settings with the network key etc. Understand that the ASUS computer was on a network when the hard drive died. SO...what next?

#4 · (Edited)

Do not unzip the files and save them to the flash, as this installs the driver. Save the Downloaded Zip files to a USB Flash Drive. Put the Flash Drive into the troubled computer and save the Zip files to the desktop. Extract the files in the zip file to the computer. Double click the zip files and it should show you the contents. Extract the files in the zip file to the computer. It should start the install, if not, then double click the Autorun.exe file. This will start the install.

#5 ·

Follow up: Not unzipping did the trick. I kept unzipping setup files and finally the little blue light came on. When I went back to the drivers, I only need 2. The infamous cannot install the ACPI ATK 0100 kernel mode driver came on which is plagueing a lot of users. I solved it by looking in "services" There it was and needed an up date. When that was done the msg went away.

#6 ·

So...a couple of weeks goes by and my new HD in my Asus Z3100 is spinning happly away. I have loaded XP Pro and updated to SP3 and chose Google as my browser. I most stream music and not much else. Speccy says that I have 95% free space. So today, I turn on the notebook and first get a windows that will not complete the boot. I have put it in safe mode to try to figure it out. Speccy says that it cannot initialize most of the activity. IE memory, motherboard, etc. I tried to use the system restore and got a blank screen even though it said that it was successfully restored to an earlier time. So...what's up???

#7 ·

Boot off of the Windows Disc Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn Boot off of the CD and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
You can also download the ISO image for Seatools or Drive Fitness in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and Advanced tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.

#8 ·

I went to Western Digital, since my HD is a WD Scoripo Blue. They said that the HD is not damaged and that my boot in Win XP is corrupted. So I tried to reinstall again (5th time) I finally got a copy that worked. I then tried to install the drivers from a flash drive but was sent back to reboot from CD and now it is going thru a repair installation. Is there a new approach to load the drivers? What next?

#9 ·

I then tried to install the drivers from a flash drive but was sent back to reboot from CD
If you are installing drivers from downloads from the computer manufacturer on your flash drive, you would not need to boot from a CD. Since Windows is already installed, you just take the Windows CD out. If you need to reboot, it should boot directly into Windows from the HDD.

#10 ·

Well, the thing boots now but the wireless does not work. None of the driver downloads appear to work. Specicy says there is no audio card and there is no internet connection. The Fn+F2 does not start the wifi. I have been able to access the internet thru a modem port. There appears to be no problem with the WD bare hard drive. The fact that I did have wifi for two days before it stopped says that the built in capability is still there. Is there another way to turn on the wifi besides the Fn+F2 keys?

#12 ·

A cooling pad is always handy, but if the fans on the side and the bottom of the laptop are clear, blown out with a can of compressed air, and there is ventilation to the bottom of the notebook (eg) not used on a bed or carpet. It should not be overheating, unless it is overheating in general which is another issue.

#13 ·

As Spunk said, cooling docks can help, but unless you were running the laptop on a heavy blanket on a bed or on a couch, you shouldn't have cooked that hard drive. Unless the laptop is running overtemp, over 72 deg C (160 deg F). You have SPECCY, which you can run and it will give you these temps. If your laptop with the new hard drive runs ABOVE these temps on a level hard surface such as a desk, table, or countertop WITHOUT the cooling dock on, you may have cooked more than that old hard drive. :cry:

Also, I noticed that you list XP Pro as your Windows OS. that laptop is at least 7 yrs. old so it probably doesn't have much life left in it even with the new hard drive. I've never seen an ASUS that old that still runs. If you DO indeed need the cooling dock to get temps back under 72 deg C as I mentioned, it's probably aged and has been damaged over time and has limited life left in it. You should start shopping for a new laptop soon!

BIGBEARJEDI

#14 ·

Thanks for your excellent advice guys. I have recycled the old ASUS and bought a Dell Inspiron which does the job. I hope this thread is retained for others to use as an example of steps to take. Let's mark it closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.