Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Transferring data between 2 NAS drives

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  loda117 
#1 ·
Hello:

I have 2 WD My Book Worl Edition II NAS drives.

One is defective but I can access the data with no problem. This is configured as RAID Mirror.

The other one is brand new and just arrived today.

Is there any easy way to transfer the information from one NAS drive to the other?

I thought that if I took out one hard drive from the new NAS (blank) and replace it with the hard drive from the old NAS, all the data would be automatically copied from one drive to the other.

But according to WD support if I do this then the hard drive with data will be formatted.

Anyone has any recommendations?

Manually copying everything would mean that I have to configure the NAS drive again (usernames, folder shares, etc.).

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Transferring data between 2 NAS drives

depends on what kind of raid you are running and you should be able to replace that one drive that has gone bad and the raid config for NAS should be able to rebuild that drive
but the drive being swapped and the new drive has to be the same exact drives with same exact speed and storage capacity (preferably same model drive)

Other way would be to configure the new NAS and then if you want to raid that then configure that as well
and then just copy and paste using a computer over the network

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.