Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Removing 2nd Storage HD

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Removing 2nd Storage HD within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with two IDE hard drives, one is a WD1200, and the other is a

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 12:51 AM   #1

I have a Dell Dimension 4550 with two IDE hard drives, one is a WD1200, and the other is a Maxtor Ultra.

A long time ago, I used Maxtor's Maxblast 4 to add a newly purchased 200gb Maxtor hard drive onto the system as "additional storage." 3 years later, I have decided that I no longer need that much hard drive space, and would simply like to use one hard-drive on this PC.

However, the computer will not boot without both hard-drives connected. If I have only the bootable Western Digital HD connected(or any bootable HD that I've tried for that matter), I get a primary disk 0 not found error, and the bios says that for both primary 0 and primary 1 there is an "unknown device." The PC will load as long as there is a second hard-drive connected, regardless of whether it was the original maxtor or another drive that is configured for additional storage.

I have upgraded the BIOS from A2 to A8, but the problem remains. Is there a simple fix for this I am not aware of? Maxblast 4 doesn't appear to have a remove option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 09:46 AM   #2

How are the jumpers set in the back of each drive? (Master, Slave, Cable select? - note that different brands, and even different models within the same brand, can have different ways of setting the jumpers, so look in the user's manual)
Also, do you have a 'cable select' cable? Such cables will usually have "MASTER" and "SLAVE" or "DRIVE 0" and "DRIVE 1" written somewhere on the cable (0=master, 1=slave).
Old 08-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #3

The master jumper is set in the WD drive to master, and the maxtors are set to slave. I also have tried different cables, with interesting results. Using another cable has the same results.

ex. Using the secondary cable with CD attached to primary gives Sec 0 not Found as expected, but without the CD attached on primary gives Primary 0 - Unknown
Sec 0 - Unknown in the BIOS.

I also experimented with additional master drives. My friend long ago donated a WD from an old dell computer where he did the same thing as mine, and likewise, this drive only boots to windows when a secondary additional storage drive is attached.

big edit: I found a new drive that boots to Unix without a secondary attached, so it can't be the bios or cables. This issue seems to only happen with the drives that were set up to use an additional storage, like their partition table is messed up or something. I will try gParted. Any suggestions on how to revert these drives to how they were before the additional storage was added?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #4

Have you tried setting all your jumpers on all drives to cable select? Maybe it is a 'cable select' cable (even if it doesn't have any inscriptions). Perhaps it is - and when you only have one device and there's not another device to mark the opposite setting (master or slave) on the IDE channel, it's unable to detect either (think of a balance where you have to put a weight on both sides for it to balance). (I can't think of how to phrase that any better - you may have to read it slowly 2 or 3 times to understand that sentence).

Set the WD to cable select and see if it will boot alone.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:15 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

If the drive you want to use is a Western Digital and is the only drive on that ribbon cable, you MUST remove all jumpers and put that drive on the end of the ribbon cable. Give this a try and see what happens.

Western Digital drives are set differently than most drives when they are alone on a ribbon cable. Post back with results.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #6
retired

Quote:
Maxblast 4 doesn't appear to have a remove option
I believe your referring to the Ontrack Dynamic Drive Overlay being installed when you used MaxBlast 4.

You can remove DDO by running MaxBlast 4, select Maintenance Options then select Remove Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO).

Let us know if that solved the problem.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
If the drive you want to use is a Western Digital and is the only drive on that ribbon cable, you MUST remove all jumpers and put that drive on the end of the ribbon cable. Give this a try and see what happens.

Western Digital drives are set differently than most drives when they are alone on a ribbon cable. Post back with results.
This did the trick, it boots up fine to linux and windows and the bios recognizes the hard-drive.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

p.s. Is there a way to change the title to solved if I've already used up an edit?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Glad you got it fixed. I will mark this as solved.
Closed Thread