Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Pc won't shut down completely after installing second hdd

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Pc won't shut down completely after installing second hdd within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I recently bought this item, for replacing my optical drive with another hard drive. The installation was successful and

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Arrow

Hello.
I recently bought this item, for replacing my optical drive with another hard drive.

The installation was successful and my second hard drive is showing.

My problem however is that my laptop wont shut down completely after this install.
I get past the "Windows is shutting down" screen, and afterwards the screen goes black, but I can see it is still "working on something" to shut down completely. The power button is also glowing.

I removed the other hard drive, and then it shuts down properly.
Any suggestion on how I can make it work?

I have checked all my drivers and did not find any faults.
Sometimes i get a BSOD with an error code starting with 0x0000009f.

Specs:
Asus x53SJ
120 GB OCZ AGILITY 3 SATA III (primary hard drive)
500 GB Seagate 5400 RPM (Second hard drive)
Win 7 Proffesional x64
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I would run the seagate seatools to test out the hard drive the link is in my signature run both the short and long tests any errors then the drive needs to be replaced its bad
Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your help, but I located the problem.
The computer does not shut down, even if there is no hard drive in the hdd caddy.
So the caddy is somehow stealing power and refuses to listen to the "shut down" command.
Don't really know where to go from here on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Registered Member

Solved my problem by looking at this thread: HP Elitebook 8560p Won't Shutdown
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing Windows 7 HELP!! (New HDD)
I bought a new hard drive just now, i put in the Windows 7 CD and I'm about to install it, the hard drive shows up so I press NEXT and it loads, then the Hard Drive disappears and it says No drives were found. Click Load Driver to provide a mass storage driver for installation. My Diagnostics...
Bdzer103 Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 29 02-27-2011 09:49 AM
Installing video card decrease HDD performance?
Just installed my new XFX Radeon HD 5770 with latest downloaded drives and my windows 7 performance index on my hard drive dropped from 7.7 to 5.9. Any idea why installing a graphic card could effect HDD performance? CPU is unchanged Ram is unchanged Graphic portion was greatly increased (as...
Cstoliker Video Card Support 2 02-24-2011 10:00 AM
Installing Windows 7 On a Fresh HDD
I ordered a brand new HDD because my old one was corrupt. So, I connect it while the power is off, turn it on and put in the W7 Ultimate disc. I recognizes my 1TB HDD and I click Custom (Advanced) and try to install a fresh copy of Windows 7. It feels like everything is going okay but it doesn't...
Bdzer103 Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 22 02-23-2011 06:16 AM
DirectX Error [moved from Vista/7]
I've been told to run dxdiag, but when I do it says Error: Could not load dxdiagn.dll I've also downloaded DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer. However, when I attempt to install direct x, this appears: An internal system error occured. Please refer to DXerror.log and DirectX.log in...
eiliant BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 1 02-07-2011 01:29 AM
Windows 7 won't install to my HDD
Hello people, My system specs can be found at the end of this post. I'm trying to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7. So while I'm in Vista I run the Windows 7 Setup but at the moment I'm asked to select to what drive I want to install Win7, no drives at all appear in the list, not even my...
noblessus Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 13 01-18-2011 09:52 PM