Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] I can't open my F: Drive

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] I can't open my F: Drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Right, where do I start? Okay, I have a a dell that went haywire and would not boot up...it kept

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Right, where do I start?
Okay, I have a a dell that went haywire and would not boot up...it kept giving me the dreaded 'Blue screen of Death!!!'
So I opened up the dell and took the hard drive out (Western Digital 160GB) and hooked it up in my 3.5" External Box and then tried to open it on my other dell desktop(XP). At first it kept saying 'E:\Directory corrupted and unreadable' so I downloaded 'TestDisk' which allowed me to gain access to Drive E: but inside E: is F: and G:
Now, I can access G: no problem but I can't get into F: which is where all the docs and music are stored. I keep getting the error messages that the drive is unreadable!
Can anybody stop me from throwing this thing into the Thames!!??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

try taking ownership of the drive

Old 03-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

The file system of F drive is corrupted, try Partition Table Doctor, which is recommended by many users, maybe its fixboot function can help you.
If not, please try data recovery software to recover data from the F drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks Joe I'll give that 'Partition Table Doctor' a try and let you know how I get on.
Hey Dai, how do you take ownership of your drive? Is it software?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Was the original machine Vista ior Win 7? If so the disk may have been created with a GUID partition table - XP only understands the MBR format of Partition tables, so could not read the VISTA/WIN7 formatted drives. When you create a partition in Vista/Win7 it asks if you want to use the MBR or GUID style, but if the disk was factory formatted it may well have used GUID. Taking ownership https://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Old 03-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor_pa View Post
Was the original machine Vista ior Win 7? If so the disk may have been created with a GUID partition table - XP only understands the MBR format of Partition tables, so could not read the VISTA/WIN7 formatted drives. When you create a partition in Vista/Win7 it asks if you want to use the MBR or GUID style, but if the disk was factory formatted it may well have used GUID. Taking ownership https://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Thanks for that Raptor, btw the original [Dell] machine was also XP.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #7
Registered Member

Excellent! I have gained access and am in the process of saving my files. Thank you all for your help, very much appreciated!
Partition Doctor was a life saver, or at least a Drive saver!

Thanks again.
Closed Thread