Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] HELP! In urgent need of western Digital PCB Solution

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] HELP! In urgent need of western Digital PCB Solution within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I am in great need of help. I have and old WD my book 2X 500 Gig which I

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello
I am in great need of help.
I have and old WD my book 2X 500 Gig which I have Raided into 1 Tb.
The voltage supressor diode (I think that's what's it's called) began to fry on one of the PCB drive.
I have tried partly in success to recover the datas by swapping the PCB board but can only recover so much data (about 10% from 500 Gig) from the faulty drive.
Both Drives are the original drive that came in the My book.

Please if any have a suggestion/solution on how can I recover the datas without going broke.

Thank you.

Antaress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_044.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	739.0 KB
ID:	75356  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Remove the TVS and the drive should spin. then copy the data off the raid. Check the voltages BEFORE connecting the drive though from the power supply, particularly the the 5 vdc side, if the voltage is a more than about .3 or .4 volts high, then do not us the supply, power them from another source, just use the power to the board in the my book and the my book data connections.Swapping PCBs does not work with modern drives, it's surprising you were able to copy anything off...
Old 07-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

I will try this and post result.

Swapping PCBS:
I was pretty stun too that I could actually read the drive.
I used this tool - GetDataBack for NTFS 4.00
https://www.runtime.org/

First time I tried was on Vista OS. (never worked)
Than few months later tried again on win7. and the drive only appeared in disk management as Raw (but I could see 60gig of data from GetDataBack. I think only because both drives were not connected) but connecting another PCB and have both drive connected just doesn't work indeed.
having the drives raided made the PBS swap possible I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

You may have only been reading from the one, which is most likely. To recover, you will need both drives connected to get the data if it is a true raid0
Old 07-24-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yes I though about it aswell.

Thanks alot an hour into copying and all seems going ok.
I removed the damaged TVS from the PCB, plugged the drives to the MyBook board and used the original WD power supply.
The drive with the damaged PCB is heating more than the other drive but appart from that all look good.

850 gigs left to copy tho! What are the odds of the drive failing before the copying completion?
And is there a chance to re-use the drive by replacing the faulty PCB with a new or different one?
Old 07-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

The PCB requires an exact match, you won't find a new one, and also requires the firmware be copied from the old board tot he new. This requires special hardware. There are some PCB suppliers who will match the board for you and tranfer the firmware. Once you have your data tho, it is more cost effective to just replace the drive - a new drive is about the same price as the board and rom move - and you have a brand new drive. You can replace the diode, you just have to determine if it is the 5VDC or 12VDC line - pretty easy with an ohmmeter - and then match the diode. See this thread for some ideas on matching. https://www.techsupportforum.com/f16/...ed-398272.html It is not an exact science, but till you're done you'll know more about diodes than you ever though possible.. LOL
Old 07-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thx for the tip. Will look into it.
Closed Thread