Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] HDD reporting wrong capacity

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
The drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that's reporting only 118 GB capacity. The problem occurred after I tried to boot from a 120 GB Western Digital HDD in an external enclosure attached to the laptop via USB. I have formatted the drive, reinstalled Windows XP, tried to resize in device manager, tested it with Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools, looked for any options in the Dell BIOS, tried FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, etc. in the recovery console, all with no luck. I'd like to use the HDD Capacity Restore program but I don't have a desktop or a cable to hook it up to make it work. According to what I've read, the program fixes the LBA48, HPA and DCO records that were corrupted causing the drive to report the wrong capacity. Does anyone know a manual way I could go about fixing these?

#4 ·
Re: HDD reporting wrong capacity

Thanks for the help guys, but I think I fixed the problem. I used the SeaTools option to restore to native capacity, and it worked! The rest was an unallocated partition which I resized with EaseUS Partition Master. I wish I would have known about this program before I reformatted, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.