Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Hard Drive working all the time

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Hard Drive working all the time within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Maxtor 6L250R0 HD, and for some reason, it keeps making noise all the time, and uses alot

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #1

I have a Maxtor 6L250R0 HD, and for some reason, it keeps making noise all the time, and uses alot of PF, even if I remove it. Running programs like Firefox, Windows Explorer, Control Panel really slows down everything, makes the HD go crazy, and sometimes even freezes the PC. And for some reason, The C: drive is almost 70% full (40 GB of 110), even though I haven't put over 1 GB on it. Instead, the system32 is full of .tmp files. Any idea about how to clean them out?

Also, the D: drive has about 40 GB of my stuff on it (and about 25 of it is only temporary), yet only 40 GB of it is free out of the 113 GB, and even if I reveal hidden files and folders, I can't find anything that takes up the missing space. I already found a nasty virus on my PC, but I guess it already messed things up pretty bad. Any ideas on what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2007, 05:21 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Are there any more .tmp files in other folders?

Right-click the hard drive icon in Windows Explorer and select Properties. Under the General tab, is 'Allow Indexing Service...' enabled?

What security software do you have installed? Is it up to date and run regularly?

What's the name of the virus you found, and which program picked it up?

Please follow the instructions here (5 pages) and then post all the requested logs in a new thread here for the security analysts to look at. If you have any trouble running any of the scans, leave them and move onto the next.

The security forum is always busy, so please be patient and you will receive a reply as soon as possible. If you go to Thread Tools > Subscribe at the top of your new thread you will receive an email as soon as a reply is posted.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #3

Never mind. I figured it out. Avast! found around 400 000 infected .tmp files, that obviously created by the virus that I already killed to slow my PC down, avast! deleted them all, and the PC was back to normal. But thanks for the help anyway.

By the way, the virus was called fdbaeacdeecfa.dll, which became suspicious to me after reading abut so-called "f.dll" viruses.

I need to know only one thing now: if I have almost 1 GB of RAM, do I need a page file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Thanks for posting back with the results. If you'd like our security experts to check your system for any undetected infections, please follow the 5 steps in the HJT forum and post the requested logs.

Microsoft recommends always having a page file, however much RAM you have.
Closed Thread