Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] hard drive crashed? need some direction

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] hard drive crashed? need some direction within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Working on my moms laptop, which is an asus x75a, windows 8/8.1 x64 (not sure), HGST HDD. What she's told

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Working on my moms laptop, which is an asus x75a, windows 8/8.1 x64 (not sure), HGST HDD.
What she's told me:
1. computer makes sounds as it usually does when turning on (fans whirring, etc)
2. screen comes on (back light is working, cursor comes up)
3. black screen, pointer, nothing else.

Drive was removed and connected to my desktop via USB dongle and external power supply. Does not come up in windows explorer. In the device manager utility, it shows up, but as an uninitialized disk.

So here's my dilemma:
Its been a while since I last was really into my groove with the desktop tech stuff (think pre-vista). I don't have much experience with this rubbish windows 8 or 8.1 OS (they never should have left XP, although I'm becoming quite fond of 7). In the device manager on my computer (windows 7 x64) it asks if I want to initialize the disk. Given the difference in operating system, I don't want to hit yes to the MBR option (if that's what 8 even uses) and have the drive erase itself and overwrite any of the usefulness that is as of yet still sealed on its pristine little platters, all nice and magneticky.

Thoughts? recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

I think you mean Disk Management rather then Device Manager. Where you would see the Initialization message.
Disk Management has not changed since Windows 2000 and XP so there is no difference with it in Windows 8 or 8.1.
You can try to recover your files from that HDD while it is in the USB dongle by using the free TestDisk Program. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack. You will need another drive of the same size or larger to restore your files to.
Once safely backed up, run Check Disk on the drive. Go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type the drive letter of the now External drive (eg) G: and press Enter (eg) G:\> at this prompt type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive. (this also hasn't changed since last century) This will take a long time. If it hangs after several hours or does not complete, the HDD needs to be replaced.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, disk management. And update:
Tried both of those tools, neither picked up the drive.
Also, cant do checkdisk because there's no drive letter associated with the drive (assuming that's probably because the computer thinks its not initialized).

Im pretty sure its safe to assume that its just a bad drive. Thinking back, this happened to an old WD Green Edition drive that I used to have. Which was a real b***h because it was the one with all my movies on it. Come to think of it, my family and I have never had a great track record with WD products.

$200 for a new drive and copy of windows 8. cheaper than buying a new laptop... (thanks, obama)

Side note: I should have been a comedian instead of investing in an IT degree...
Closed Thread