Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Got a new external hard drive and now it won't recongnize the old one

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  makinu1der2 
#1 ·
I got a new FreeAgent GoFlex external hard drive.

At the time I installed it, both of my old ones were hooked up, but one was not plugged in to power (someone unplugged it without me knowing it). I installed the software that came with it and everything seemed to be working fine until I realized one of the old ones was disconnected. I plugged the old one back into power and when I did that, the computer did the bing bong noise and the new software was activated, but the old drive does not show up anywhere. I have tried uninstalling the new software, restarting the computer, hooking up the old drive to different ports, including the port where the other old drive is hooked up. No luck.

I'm out of ideas.

#4 ·
Re: Got a new external hard drive and now it won't recongnize the old one

This explains that once I disconnected the other drives and reinstalled this one, it worked, until I reinstalled the others.

However, now I can't assign the letter. I reassigned the letter for the new one. Uninstalled the old one and then restarted the computer. Disk management says it's there, but offline because of a signature collision with another drive, but I can't figure out how to assign it a letter. It was easy to do it with one that was online, but now that the new one has been reassigned, shouldn't this one be working again?

#5 ·

can you not right click and assign drive letter in disk management? if not I would safely remove ALL the externals and leave them disconnected. reboot without any of the externals connected then one by one connect the externals. that should clear things up.

however if you have a program or something that relies on the external drive letter (itunes for instance) you may need to do some tweaking to the letters after they are all showing up etc.

#6 ·

I couldn't reassign the letter while it was offline. However, turns out I could right click and select online and it would come online. So, all drives working. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.